Fast-moving, powerful thunderstorms catch some Utahns by surprise
SANDY, Utah — A round of fast-moving thunderstorms battered the south end of the Salt Lake Valley during the evening commute Thursday, catching drivers and homeowners by surprise.
The storms quickly soaked Interstate 15 and other major roadways, while high winds blew rain drops horizontally in Sandy.
“It’s just something I’ve never seen,” resident Jared Roseman said. “The rain is going sideways and I’ve never seen rain going sideways.”
Roseman captured the storm’s fury on his cell phone in video he shared with KSL TV.
“Just the amount of rain we got was so surprising,” he said. “I was surprised we didn’t have any snapped trees — just the amount of force that came through.”
One storm even led Herriman City to urge those attending Towne Days to seek shelter at the Butterfield Park Pavilion or inside their vehicles.
Alert: A severe thunderstorm with lightning is approaching Herriman. Those at Towne Days should seek shelter at the Butterfield Park pavilion or their vehicles until the storm passes. (30 minutes after the last lightning strike) pic.twitter.com/bT9gcJmjtF
— Herriman City (@HerrimanCity) June 24, 2022
Just as surprising as the intensity of the storms was how quickly they vanished.
“Within five minutes, the storm was gone, and as you can see, we’ve got blue skies again,” Roseman smiled.
Forecasters said more storms were possible into Friday.
Roseman embraced them.
“We welcome the water, but it definitely was a shock to us,” he said.
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 13441)
- 2 former Stansbury High School teammates to faceoff in the Super Bowl (pageviews: 7554)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 5852)
- Residential care facility faces fine after woman pronounced dead found gasping for air in body bag (pageviews: 4852)
- Utah state prisons on lockdown after three assaults against officers (pageviews: 4484)
- Missing Arizona girl found in basement of convicted Utah sex offender on parole (pageviews: 3699)