Gymnastics business burns near Rio Tinto during RSL game
SANDY, Utah – Fire crews responded to a structure fire on Saturday night as Real Salt Lake played at the Rio Tinto Stadium.
According to Sandy Fire Deputy Fire Chief Ryan McConaghie, the fire happened at Pinnacles-Gymnastics on 9127 S 255 W in Sandy around 8 p.m.
It was called in as a second alarm fire but quickly turned into a third alarm.
McConaghie said the gym’s owner was welding and doing “hot work” when he noticed a fire spreading.
The owner attempted to put out the fire with a fire extinguisher, but it kept spreading, and he evacuated the building with his daughter.
Crews attacked the fire from the outside because of structural damage.
“The Pinnacles part of the structure is defensive, meaning we are not putting people inside. We aren’t putting firefighters on top,” McConaghie explained as the roof was unstable due to the heat and flames.
Fire crews contained the fire to only the gym and protected the nearby businesses. Those businesses should only have smoke damage, said McConaghie.
— Dan Rascon (@TVDanRascon) June 26, 2022
The daughter and owner are being treated for minor smoke inhalation at a local hospital. They were the only ones in the buildings.
McConaghie did not say how the cost of damages to the building.
The fire did not affect the Real Salt Lake game.
Update: it's the store behind the At Home store. The fire department is on site and have tamed the fire. https://t.co/J8GUAxsJSI
— Real Salt Lake (@realsaltlake) June 26, 2022
- After loud boom across Utah, here’s why you should check your yard for treasure – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 13500)
- Utah player suffers tragic accident just days before Little League World Series (pageviews: 8905)
- After loud boom across Utah, here’s why you should check your yard for treasure (pageviews: 8598)
- Neighborhood supports family of West Jordan mom killed in Big Cottonwood Canyon crash (pageviews: 7665)
- West Jordan woman killed in crash with truck in Big Cottonwood Canyon (pageviews: 6396)
- Heber homicide suspect found dead in Oregon (pageviews: 4997)