Gymnastics business burns near Rio Tinto during RSL game
SANDY, Utah – Fire crews responded to a structure fire on Saturday night as Real Salt Lake played at the Rio Tinto Stadium.
According to Sandy Fire Deputy Fire Chief Ryan McConaghie, the fire happened at Pinnacles-Gymnastics on 9127 S 255 W in Sandy around 8 p.m.
It was called in as a second alarm fire but quickly turned into a third alarm.
McConaghie said the gym’s owner was welding and doing “hot work” when he noticed a fire spreading.
The owner attempted to put out the fire with a fire extinguisher, but it kept spreading, and he evacuated the building with his daughter.
Crews attacked the fire from the outside because of structural damage.
“The Pinnacles part of the structure is defensive, meaning we are not putting people inside. We aren’t putting firefighters on top,” McConaghie explained as the roof was unstable due to the heat and flames.
Fire crews contained the fire to only the gym and protected the nearby businesses. Those businesses should only have smoke damage, said McConaghie.
Breaking: large structure fire in Sandy right off I-15. @KSL5TV pic.twitter.com/A5LQUpvuRZ
— Dan Rascon (@TVDanRascon) June 26, 2022
The daughter and owner are being treated for minor smoke inhalation at a local hospital. They were the only ones in the buildings.
McConaghie did not say how the cost of damages to the building.
The fire did not affect the Real Salt Lake game.
Update: it's the store behind the At Home store. The fire department is on site and have tamed the fire. https://t.co/J8GUAxsJSI
— Real Salt Lake (@realsaltlake) June 26, 2022
KSL 5 TV Live
- 'It just keeps coming': Warnings issued in Utah with wintry week ahead (pageviews: 9883)
- 6-year-old boy dies after being ejected during rollover crash (pageviews: 9675)
- Important dates, rendering released for 3 Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint temples (pageviews: 8289)
- Police officer wounded, gunman killed in Springville shootout (pageviews: 7785)
- 2 accused of fraud across multiple states with help from Utah store employee (pageviews: 7017)
- 3 killed in head-on crash in Kane County (pageviews: 6751)