Hundreds rally in support of lawsuit over Utah’s abortion ban
SALT LAKE CITY — Hundreds gathered at the Utah Capitol Sunday in support of a lawsuit filed by Planned Parenthood of Utah & the American Civil Liberties Union of Utah to block the state’s abortion trigger law.
The lawsuit claims SB174 violates the Utah Constitution, which “serves as an independent source of rights for Utahns.”
Cheyenne Inman wanted to share her frustration over the Supreme Court’s ruling by showing up to the rally, which was organized by Women’s March Salt Lake City.
“It just feels like part of my rights have been taken away, especially in this state. And to have that happen in 2022 — it is just disappointing,” she said.
Inman was encouraged to see such a large crowd gathered to support the lawsuit. But she worries it won’t be enough to encourage lawmakers to take a second look at the trigger law.
“I think lawmakers are interested in criminalizing abortion and making sure women don’t have access to abortion but they are not interested in providing resources for women who do have unwanted pregnancies that are forced to carry those pregnancies to term,” Inman said.
Damian Lilley is for abortion rights. He attended Provo’s protest a day earlier and feels showing up to these demonstrations is one way to support women. He also fears the Supreme Court may overturn additional rulings in the near future.
“If we don’t do something now, they are not just coming after abortion rights, they’re coming after a whole bunch of other rights,” Lilley said. “We are basically going back in time right now and if we don’t do something, it’s only getting worse.”
There were no counterprotesters at Sunday’s event.
The Pro-Life Utah organization’s Facebook page announced they plan to hold a rally in support of the Supreme Court’s ruling at the Capitol on Saturday.
KSL 5 TV Live
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announces temple groundbreakings (pageviews: 61519)
- Police: Hoax targets several Utah schools with fake shooting threats (pageviews: 35058)
- Arrest made in Logan Canyon crash that killed 3, injured 2 (pageviews: 19690)
- Three dead, two injured in crash that closed US Hwy 89 (pageviews: 11477)
- 3 victims in Box Elder County crash identified (pageviews: 10071)
- Nashville police release bodycam footage of police shooting school attacker (pageviews: 7725)