NATIONAL NEWS

101-year-old former Nazi concentration camp guard sentenced to five years for Holocaust atrocities

Jun 28, 2022, 12:22 PM | Updated: 2:34 pm

16 May 2022, Brandenburg, Brandenburg/Havel: The defendant comes to the continuation of the trial o...

16 May 2022, Brandenburg, Brandenburg/Havel: The defendant comes to the continuation of the trial of the Neuruppin Regional Court. According to the indictment, the former concentration camp guard, who is now 101 years old, knowingly and willingly assisted in the murder of camp inmates in 3518 cases between 1942 and 1945 at the Sachsenhausen concentration camp near Berlin. Photo: Fabian Sommer/dpa (Photo by Fabian Sommer/picture alliance via Getty Images)

(Photo by Fabian Sommer/picture alliance via Getty Images)

(CNN) — A 101-year-old former Nazi concentration camp guard has been sentenced to five years in prison by a German court for aiding and abetting the murder of 3,518 people during the Holocaust.

The man had been charged in 2021 with “knowingly and willfully” aiding and abetting the killing of prisoners at the Sachsenhausen concentration camp in Oranienburg, north of Berlin, from January 1942 to February 1945, according to the prosecutor’s office in Neuruppin, in the northeastern state of Brandenburg.

He was sentenced by the Neuruppin Regional Court on Tuesday, court spokeswoman Iris le Claire told CNN.

Le Claire said the trial was a complex process. “It was extraordinarily difficult to find an appropriate punishment because the acts took place a very long time ago, and the perpetrator is already very old. All of this had a mitigating effect on the sentence,” she said.

The vast number of people who died under the guard’s watch was also taken into account, Le Claire suggested. Under German law, people found guilty of murder are typically sentenced to between three and 15 years in prison.

“The verdict is a late compensation for the relatives and a very important sign from Germany,” Christoph Heubner of the International Auschwitz Committee told CNN on Tuesday.

Heubner, who followed the trial, criticized the number of years it had taken the German courts to press charges. “Now the wound of the relatives can be taken care of,” he said.

The convicted man had always denied being active in the concentration camp, according to Heubner.

The Central Council of Jews in Germany acknowledged the ruling. “Even if the defendant will probably not serve the full prison term due to his advanced age, the verdict is to be welcomed,” Josef Schuster, the council’s president, told CNN.

“The thousands of people who worked in the concentration camps kept the murder machinery running. They were part of the system, therefore they should also take responsibility for it,” Schuster said. “It is bitter that the defendant has denied his activities at that time until the end and has shown no remorse.”

The man’s name has not been made public, in accordance with Germany’s privacy laws. The charges included involvement in the shooting of Soviet prisoners of war in 1942, and aiding and abetting the murder of prisoners through the use of poisonous gas, as well as other shootings and the killing of prisoners by creating and maintaining hostile conditions in the Sachsenhausen camp.

Sachsenhausen was built by prisoners and opened in 1936. Of the roughly 200,000 prisoners who passed through it, around 100,000 are thought to have died there. During World War II, the camp’s inmate population fluctuated between about 11,000 and 48,000 people.

An estimated 6 million Jews were killed in Nazi concentration camps during World War II. Also killed were hundreds of thousands of Roma people, political opponents, homosexuals, and people with physical or learning disabilities.


The-CNN-Wire
™ & © 2022 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.

KSL 5 TV Live

National News

A charred car and the remains of the Swiss Chalet Hotel are pictured after being destroyed by the S...

Associated Press

FBI seeks suspects in 2 New Mexico wildfires that killed 2 people, damaged hundreds of buildings

Full-time residents of Ruidoso will be allowed to return home Monday as federal authorities seek to prosecute whoever started a pair of New Mexico wildfires that killed two people and destroyed or damaged hundreds of buildings and homes.

2 hours ago

South Cedar Street is underwater after days of heavy rain led to flooding in the area, Saturday, Ju...

Associated Press

Millions swelter as temperatures soar across the US, while floodwaters inundate the Midwest

Millions of Americans sweated through yet another scorching day as temperatures soared Sunday across the U.S., while residents were rescued from floodwaters that forced evacuations across the Midwest, including in an Iowa town where the flood gauge was submerged. One person was killed during flooding in South Dakota, the governor said.

10 hours ago

This image released by Disney/Pixar shows, from left, Joy, voiced by Amy Poehler, background left, ...

Jake Coyle, The Associated Press

‘Inside Out 2’ scores $100M in its second weekend, setting records

The Pixar sequel collected $100 million in ticket sales in its second weekend, according to studio estimates Sunday, setting a new record for an animated movie in its follow-up frame in theaters.

14 hours ago

Apple's "By the Seaside" is perhaps one of the company's most controversial tunes, drawing the ire ...

Krystal Hur, CNN

Hate Apple’s ‘By the Seaside’ alarm tune? You’re not alone

Critics of the common alarm "By the Seaside" sound on Apple iPhones are speaking out.

23 hours ago

FILE: Two crop dusting airplanes collided near an airport in southern Idaho on Thursday, June 20, 2...

Associated Press

2 crop dusting airplanes collided in southern Idaho, killing 1 pilot and severely injuring the other

Two crop dusting airplanes collided near an airport in southern Idaho on Thursday and crashed to the ground, killing one of the pilots and leaving the other with life-threatening injuries, officials said.

2 days ago

A SkyWest Airlines jet approaches Salt Lake International Airport on Sept. 24, 2022. SkyWest announ...

Carter Williams, KSL.com

Flights between St. George and Los Angeles to resume after 4-year delay

St. George-based SkyWest Airlines announced this week that daily flights between St. George Regional Airport and Los Angeles International Airport will return this fall, through United Express, one of SkyWest's different airline service partners.

2 days ago

Sponsored Articles

Photo courtesy of Artists of Ballet West...

Ballet West

The rising demand for ballet tickets: why they’re harder to get

Ballet West’s box office is experiencing demand they’ve never seen before, leaving many interested patrons unable to secure tickets they want.

Electrician repairing ceiling fan with lamps indoors...

Lighting Design

Stay cool this summer with ceiling fans

When used correctly, ceiling fans help circulate cool and warm air. They can also help you save on utilities.

Side view at diverse group of children sitting in row at school classroom and using laptops...

PC Laptops

5 internet safety tips for kids

Read these tips about internet safety for kids so that your children can use this tool for learning and discovery in positive ways.

Women hold card for scanning key card to access Photocopier Security system concept...

Les Olson

Why printer security should be top of mind for your business

Connected printers have vulnerable endpoints that are an easy target for cyber thieves. Protect your business with these tips.

Modern chandelier hanging from a white slanted ceiling with windows in the backgruond...

Lighting Design

Light up your home with these top lighting trends for 2024

Check out the latest lighting design trends for 2024 and tips on how you can incorporate them into your home.

Technician woman fixing hardware of desktop computer. Close up....

PC Laptops

Tips for hassle-free computer repairs

Experiencing a glitch in your computer can be frustrating, but with these tips you can have your computer repaired without the stress.

101-year-old former Nazi concentration camp guard sentenced to five years for Holocaust atrocities