Road closure in effect due to Harpers Corner Fire near Dinosaur National Monument
JENSEN, Utah — A road closure is in effect near Dinosaur National Monument due to a fire that sparked several days ago.
Officials with the Dinosaur National Monument said the Harpers Corner Fire started as a single tree struck by lightning on Saturday, June 18, on the south side of Whirlpool Canyon.
Minimal smoke could be seen in the area during that first week, according to a Facebook post from Dinosaur National Monument Sunday evening, but on June 26, fire activity increased and the fire was estimated at one acre.
As of 11:50 p.m. Monday, the Harpers Corner Road is closed past the junction to Echo Park.
“This 7 mile road closure is necessary to ensure public safety as additional resources are secured to monitor and manage current and expected fire conditions,” another Facebook post from Dinosaur National Monument Tuesday morning stated.
Officials said access to the Echo Park Road and Yampa Bench Road remain open.
More information is expected to be shared as it becomes available, with officials saying additional closures could take effect.
- Meteor causes loud boom heard across northern Utah, National Weather Service says (pageviews: 33024)
- After loud boom across Utah, here’s why you should check your yard for treasure – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 22249)
- After loud boom across Utah, here’s why you should check your yard for treasure (pageviews: 17815)
- Meteor causes loud boom heard across northern Utah, National Weather Service says – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 12809)
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints makes changes to ‘tithing settlement’ – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 8138)
- Teen vandals destroy koi pond, try to harm fish at Salt Lake City business (pageviews: 5410)