Wasatch Beekeepers Association rescues millions of bees after I-80 crash
MILLCREEK, Utah — Roughly 24 million honey bees spilled out of a tipped semi-truck on Interstate 80, earlier this week.
Clean-up crews estimated the bees were a total loss.
Members of the Wasatch Beekeepers Association disagreed – they ended up rescuing all of the remaining bees.
“The Highway Patrol sprayed the bees with a foam, and that drowned a majority of the insects,” beekeeper Veldon Sorensen said. “The truck was traveling from California. When the truck tipped over, all the bees gathered together and clustered on sagebrush near I-80.”
Sorensen and other local beekeepers set up frames to gather the bees, who were happy for a new home.
“We wanted to preserve as many bee lives as we could,” Sorensen said. “They are so beneficial. Many people don’t even realize how intelligent they are and the goodness that comes from these insects. You know, you wouldn’t have almonds if you didn’t have bees?”
The rescued bees are now in quarantine at Sorensen’s training hives in Millcreek.
“Some of them are aggressive because they were separated from their hive and their queen,” Sorensen said. “But we are providing new queens.”
Sorensen said queen bees cost between $25 and $45.
These honey bees will be used to mentor an upcoming generation of beekeepers.
“It’s a multi-billion-dollar business all hinged on the back of a little insect,” Sorensen said.
The Wasatch Beekeepers Association members meet once a month. Experts come to discuss beekeeping and mentor those who are just getting started.
Click here to get more information on the beekeeping mentoring program.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints makes changes to ‘tithing settlement’ – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 27530)
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints makes changes to 'tithing settlement' (pageviews: 9496)
- Utah company Lions Not Sheep responds to $211K FTC fine – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 8374)
- Anne Heche is 'not expected to survive,' family says in statement (pageviews: 6508)
- Utah company Lions Not Sheep responds to $211K FTC fine (pageviews: 4092)
- Search continues for Utah man shot at during police confrontation, abduction (pageviews: 2987)