UPDATE: Woman killed in crash involving semi identified
HOLLADAY, Utah — A 74-year-old woman has died following a crash involving a semi-truck on Highland Drive according to police.
The woman was identified Tuesday afternoon as Linda Shelton Beeman of Millcreek.
Sgt. Melody Cutler with the Unified Police Department said the woman was driving southbound on Highland Drive in a Honda Accord when it collided with the semi.
The driver of the semi told police he thought the woman was going to stop for the traffic light that had just turned, but she did not.
Cutler said the impact tore off the Honda’s roof, with the rest of the vehicle coming to a rest about 100 yards down the road.
The Coke driver is said to be in his 40’s and still alive.
The driver of the car died. Police haven’t yet identified who, but believe the driver was a woman in her 70’s.
Such a sad morning on the roads.
Please be careful. @KSL5TV
— Karah Brackin (@KB_ON_TV) July 5, 2022
Both directions of Highland Drive will be closed at 4500 South for several hours while UPD’s crash reconstruction team is on scene.
No cause for the crash has been released, but Cutler said speed was likely a factor.
“It has been a problem,” she said. “We need you to slow down. We’re begging you to please slow down out there. This is not worth it. It’s not worth … taking your life or you taking someone else’s life — that’s something you’re going to have to live with for the rest of your life, so just please slow down.”
Police have not identified the woman who died in the crash.
100 Deadliest Days
The crash on Highland Drive was the second fatal crash on Utah’s roads on Tuesday and the 27th traffic death since Memorial Day.
A motorcyclist was killed in a crash on northbound Interstate 15 near the Beck Street onramp in North Salt Lake, and authorities believe speeding was also a factor in that crash.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints makes changes to ‘tithing settlement’ – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 32002)
- Meteor causes loud boom heard across northern Utah, National Weather Service says (pageviews: 31732)
- Meteor causes loud boom heard across northern Utah, National Weather Service says – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 12209)
- After loud boom across Utah, here’s why you should check your yard for treasure (pageviews: 8933)
- After loud boom across Utah, here’s why you should check your yard for treasure – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5581)
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints makes changes to 'tithing settlement' (pageviews: 5186)