Spanish Fork home catches fire after fireworks spark in outdoor garbage can
SPANISH FORK, Utah — A Spanish Fork home sustained major damage Monday night after recently-discharged fireworks sparked a fire in a trash can that spread to the house.
Crews were dispatched to the area of 1700 South and 2940 East around 11:57 p.m.
“As the first unit arrived on scene, heavy smoke and fire were observed coming from the attic space of the home,” a press release from Spanish Fork City stated Tuesday afternoon.
The fire — which was contained to the attic space and garage of the home — was put out within 35 minutes of their arrival.
According to city officials, damages have been estimated at approximately $300,000.
“The fire originated in an outdoor garbage can where recently-discharged fireworks were disposed. The fire then spread against the side of the home and then extended into the eaves and attic space,” the release stated.
Three civilians were treated on scene for smoke inhalation.
Members of Red Cross of Utah also responded to help the five residents find a safe place to spend the night and connect them with community resources.
“Spanish Fork Fire & EMS Chief Eddie Hales would like to remind everyone lighting fireworks to completely soak the remnants in water before disposing of them in trash containers. Also, always make sure that you have working smoke detectors in your residence.”
In total, two chief officers, 28 firefighters, five engines and one ladder responded to the fire. Agencies included Spanish Fork, Salem, Mapleton, and Woodland Hills, as well as the Spanish Fork Police Department.
KSL 5 TV Live
- How to see the Northern Lights, sighted recently in Utah skies (pageviews: 30730)
- Greatest snow on Earth: Utah's snowpack hits record high (pageviews: 16278)
- Two dead, one critically injured after crash in Magna (pageviews: 11076)
- Utah will likely set historic snow record Friday (pageviews: 9663)
- UPDATE: Interlodge lifted at Snowbird, Alta Ski Area; SR-210 reopens (pageviews: 9130)
- Police: Grantsville man shot himself upon police serving search warrant (pageviews: 7166)