Gas prices coming down nationally but remain near record high in Utah
SALT LAKE CITY — Gas prices have been easing nationally over the past week, but in Utah, they are still hovering around AAA’s record high average cost set just last week. The discrepancy between the current national average of $4.75 for a gallon of regular unleaded versus Utah’s current average of $5.23 has many people reaching out on social media and through KSL’s tip line, wondering why many other states have cheaper prices than we do.
A drive around the Salt Lake Valley Thursday afternoon confirmed what you already know: gas prices are still high here in Utah. Compare that to AAA’s average in South Carolina, Georgia, and Mississippi where they are paying around $4.25 today — a whole dollar less than Utahns.
AAA spokesperson John Treanor said a lot goes into gas prices, and the biggest factor for the wallets of Utah drivers is access.
“In Utah, Nevada, Arizona states and kind of the Southwest area, it’s more expensive to get that refined oil to the state — more expensive to get fuel in state,” Treanor said.
Historical data shows that price drops in Utah tend to lag a few days behind other parts of the country, so we could see prices go down somewhat. But the summer travel season is not typically a time when prices go down.
“Could it go down below $5? It’s heading that way,’” Treanor said. “That’s a big drop off.”
It is not just Utah. The entire West is paying more than they do back East. And California still has us beat, paying more than $6.18 a gallon today.
- Utah state prisons on lockdown after three assaults against officers (pageviews: 6644)
- West Jordan mother in the ICU after being hit by snowmobile while tubing (pageviews: 6488)
- Provo will soon be welcoming its 1st full-size Target store (pageviews: 4817)
- 7 arrested in drug trafficking investigation in Utah and Salt Lake counties (pageviews: 3927)
- Chilling search history on Enoch father's phone: 'Can neighbors hear gunshots?' (pageviews: 3512)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 3261)