Gas prices coming down nationally but remain near record high in Utah
SALT LAKE CITY — Gas prices have been easing nationally over the past week, but in Utah, they are still hovering around AAA’s record high average cost set just last week. The discrepancy between the current national average of $4.75 for a gallon of regular unleaded versus Utah’s current average of $5.23 has many people reaching out on social media and through KSL’s tip line, wondering why many other states have cheaper prices than we do.
A drive around the Salt Lake Valley Thursday afternoon confirmed what you already know: gas prices are still high here in Utah. Compare that to AAA’s average in South Carolina, Georgia, and Mississippi where they are paying around $4.25 today — a whole dollar less than Utahns.
AAA spokesperson John Treanor said a lot goes into gas prices, and the biggest factor for the wallets of Utah drivers is access.
“In Utah, Nevada, Arizona states and kind of the Southwest area, it’s more expensive to get that refined oil to the state — more expensive to get fuel in state,” Treanor said.
Historical data shows that price drops in Utah tend to lag a few days behind other parts of the country, so we could see prices go down somewhat. But the summer travel season is not typically a time when prices go down.
“Could it go down below $5? It’s heading that way,’” Treanor said. “That’s a big drop off.”
It is not just Utah. The entire West is paying more than they do back East. And California still has us beat, paying more than $6.18 a gallon today.
- Police: Man steals excavator, tears up ground outside grocery store (pageviews: 10928)
- Utah company must pay FTC over $200,000 for their fake ‘made in the USA’ tags – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 10276)
- Flash flood advisory for Salt Lake, Davis County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 8607)
- USANA Amphitheatre briefly evacuated due to weather – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6176)
- Utah company must pay FTC over $200,000 for their fake 'made in the USA' tags (pageviews: 5885)
- Hiker seriously injured by falling rock in Little Cottonwood Canyon (pageviews: 5171)
- Hiker seriously injured by falling rock in Little Cottonwood Canyon – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5037)