Police: Wife shoots husband, forces shelter in-place in West Jordan neighborhood
WEST JORDAN, Utah – A woman is in police custody after allegedly shooting her husband in the shoulder Sunday morning.
According to West Jordan police Officer Samuel Winkler, the 42-year-old woman shot her 44-year-old husband near 8000 South and Madison Nan Drive around 7 a.m.
The husband fled into a neighbor’s home, where first responders provided first aid.
Police issued a shelter in-place for the neighborhood while they spoke to the wife. After an hour of negotiations, the wife surrendered to police without further issue.
Winkler said the woman is in a local hospital for self-inflicted injuries. After treatment, she will be booked in the Salt Lake County Jail.
The husband was transported to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries and is expected to recover.
“We credit our officers for their patience and communication skills with the suspect in convincing her to surrender peacefully,” Winkler said in a statement. “Anyone in crisis or experiencing domestic violence is encouraged to call domestic violence hotlines or crisis hotlines.”
DOMESTIC AND SEXUAL VIOLENCE RESOURCES
If you know someone who is going through abuse, the Utah Domestic Violence Coalition operates a confidential statewide, 24-hour domestic abuse hotline at 1-800-897-LINK (5465).
Resources are also available online at the Utah Domestic Violence Coalition website.
You can also contact the Utah Coalition Against Sexual Assault.
If you have experienced sexual violence, you can access help and resources by calling Utah’s 24-hour Sexual Violence Helpline at 1-888-421-1100. You can also call the Rape Recovery Center Crisis Line at 801-467-7273 or the National Sexual Assault Hotline at 1-800-656-4673 for free, confidential counseling.
KSL 5 TV Live
- I-80 to close over weekend for elk relocation (pageviews: 93090)
- Why Zion's popular Narrows hike could be closed for months (pageviews: 18277)
- 'It just keeps coming': Warnings issued in Utah with wintry week ahead (pageviews: 16676)
- 2 accused of fraud across multiple states with help from Utah store employee (pageviews: 11859)
- Trial for Gwyneth Paltrow over ski collision begins on Tuesday (pageviews: 10416)
- One flown, two others transported to hospital after head-on collision (pageviews: 10018)
- 2 hikers found dead in Kane County slot canyon identified (pageviews: 6721)