Motorist hits police car, injures officer after failing to move over
OREM, Utah — Two police cars were damaged and an officer was taken to the hospital after a motorist failed to move over for the two cars assisting a broken down car, Monday night.
hit a police vehicle stopped to help a broken down car, causing it to hit another assisting police car and injure an officer.
According to a Facebook post from police, around 11:30 p.m. Monday evening, Orem Police Department officers went to assist a motorist who had broken down in the travel lane at 800 North and 750 East.
Both officers had their overhead flashing lights on and were parked behind the broken down car.
However, a motorist failed to move over and struck the back of one patrol car, causing it to strike the second patrol car.
At the same time, one of the officers was in-between the cars getting items from the back and was hit “as he attempted to avoid being smashed by the vehicle behind him.”
The officer was given aid until paramedics arrived and he was transported to the hospital for his injuries.
The officer has since been released and is at home recovering.
The Facebook post stated, “This is a reminder to move as far over as possible to avoid colliding with emergency vehicles; it is the law. We are grateful our officer was not more seriously injured or killed in this accident, and it serves as great reminder to slow down and move over when you see emergency vehicle lights.”
- Meteor causes loud boom heard across northern Utah, National Weather Service says (pageviews: 33024)
- After loud boom across Utah, here’s why you should check your yard for treasure – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 22249)
- After loud boom across Utah, here’s why you should check your yard for treasure (pageviews: 17815)
- Meteor causes loud boom heard across northern Utah, National Weather Service says – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 12809)
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints makes changes to ‘tithing settlement’ – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 8138)
- Teen vandals destroy koi pond, try to harm fish at Salt Lake City business (pageviews: 5410)