Street racing bust arrests 15 suspects over weekend
SALT LAKE CITY — Police have 15 people in custody after a street racing operation over the weekend.
According to Salt Lake City police, the operation started Friday into early Saturday morning around 1100 South between 4800 West and 5500 West.
Salt Lake City’s industrial area is known to be a hot spot for illegal street racing because of its “long and wide open streets,” according to police.
“Local businesses have been notably impacted by both the racing and the large crowds that gather to watch, gamble, and cheer them on,” the police statement states. They claim that these gatherings have impacted local businesses, disrupted the flow of products, and even caused some businesses to close.
Recently, we and @UTHighwayPatrol conducted a coordinated operation to stop illegal street racing, which resulted in 15 arrests and 14 towed cars.
For more information: https://t.co/E5VP746xBZ#slc #saltlakecity #slcpd pic.twitter.com/A8vaClY178
— Salt Lake City Police (@slcpd) July 18, 2022
The 15 arrested suspects are facing a variety of changes, such as:
- speed contest or exhibition on highway,
- failure to stop or respond at command of police,
- driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs,
- reckless driving,
- possession of a controlled substance,
- hit and run,
- open container,
- and operating a vehicle without insurance.
Authorities also towed 14 cars.
The police statement also sites that calls for illegal street racing dramatically increased just in one year, from 71 calls in 2019 to 409 calls in 2020.
This operation was a collaboration between Salt Lake City police and Utah Highway Patrol.
KSL 5 TV Live
- 'It just keeps coming': Warnings issued in Utah with wintry week ahead (pageviews: 9883)
- 6-year-old boy dies after being ejected during rollover crash (pageviews: 9675)
- Important dates, rendering released for 3 Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint temples (pageviews: 8289)
- Police officer wounded, gunman killed in Springville shootout (pageviews: 7785)
- 2 accused of fraud across multiple states with help from Utah store employee (pageviews: 7017)
- 3 killed in head-on crash in Kane County (pageviews: 6751)