Kane County chase ends with collision against empty patrol car
KANE COUNTY, Utah — A man is in police custody after fleeing from them and crashing into an empty patrol car Monday morning.
According to the Kane County Sheriff’s office, 34-year-old Curtis E. Heisler was stopped by a Garfield County deputy in Panguitch for running a stop sign around 8 a.m.
A woman was in the passenger seat with two children in the back.
In arresting documents, when the deputy approached the car, they noticed the smell of marijuana and asked if either had any on them. Both said there wasn’t.
The deputy asked if either had a medical marijuana card, which Heisler had one from Arizona, but it was expired.
All occupants got out of the car as the deputy and the assisting officer searched the car. They found an “AR 15 rifle” and loaded magazines with “20 rounds” of ammo.
Police tried to place Heisler in custody, but he “forced his way past officers” and fled in the car, according to the sheriff’s office.
Garfield officers pursued Heisler on Highway 89 and crossed into Kane County. He was traveling over 100 MPH and outsped officers.
A Kane County officer encountered Heisler in Glendale and began his pursuit.
The chase continued near the Bryce Zion Campground, where a Kane County deputy waited for Heisler with spikes.
Heisler attempted to avoid the spikes, but by doing so, he crashed head-on into the empty patrol car.
He was quickly taken into custody and air ambulanced to a St. George hospital.
The sheriff’s office said he was sent to the Garfield County jail for:
- fail to stop or respond at command of police,
- possession of a dangerous weapon by restricted person,
- reckless driving,
- interfering with an officer,
- reckless endangerment (x2),
- use or possession of drug paraphernalia (x3),
- Meteor causes loud boom heard across northern Utah, National Weather Service says (pageviews: 33024)
- After loud boom across Utah, here’s why you should check your yard for treasure – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 22249)
- After loud boom across Utah, here’s why you should check your yard for treasure (pageviews: 17815)
- Meteor causes loud boom heard across northern Utah, National Weather Service says – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 12809)
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints makes changes to ‘tithing settlement’ – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 8138)
- Teen vandals destroy koi pond, try to harm fish at Salt Lake City business (pageviews: 5410)