Firefighters save woman trapped inside burning home in Cottonwood Heights
COTTONWOOD HEIGHTS, Utah — Firefighters fought through a flaming house in Cottonwood Heights to rescue a woman Monday afternoon.
Ryan Love from the Unified Fire Department said they responded to the house fire on Alpen Way in Cottonwood Heights around 3:45 p.m.
The 911 caller said there was a woman possibly trapped in the home.
Love said when firefighters arrived, the flames were as high as 40 feet.
“We initially attempted what’s called an unprotected search. So that way we can rescue the victim as quickly as we could. All that means is we did not have a hose line with us as we entered the structure,” Love said. “Unfortunately, we were met with the wall of flames. There were flash over-like conditions within the structure that that made us retreat, grab our hose lines and knock down the fire to reach the patient.”
As a precaution, the patient was transported to a nearby hospital in good condition.
Cause: Under investigation
— Unified Fire (@FireAuthority) July 19, 2022
Temperature exceeded 1,000 degrees in some areas of the home, according to Love.
The firefighters eventually reached a room with a shut door.
Love said she was unable to evacuate so she decided to get behind the closed door.
The woman was inside but there were no flames there. Firefighters kept her protected in the room.
Once the firefighters knocked down the flames enough they evacuated the woman from the house.
“I think if people were to take takeaway from this experience, from this situation – closing a door is extremely vital and could save someone’s life. It has saved someone’s life today,” Love said.
Love said the woman was being treated for smoke inhalation at a hospital as a precaution.
The cause of the fire is being investigated.
KSL 5 TV Live
- How to see the Northern Lights, sighted recently in Utah skies (pageviews: 34675)
- More snow piles up Sunday and it's not over yet (pageviews: 14695)
- Two dead, one critically injured after crash in Magna (pageviews: 12863)
- DNA analysis of Beethoven's hair reveals health issues, family secret (pageviews: 10776)
- Greatest snow on Earth: Utah's snowpack hits record high (pageviews: 9730)
- Elk herd returns to SLC golf course after multiple relocation attempts (pageviews: 9376)
- Body found under overpass at 600 North (pageviews: 6779)