State orders fire restrictions for four northern Utah counties
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah ordered stage one fire restrictions in four counties Tuesday because of “extremely dry vegetation conditions in Northern Utah.”
The order eliminates open fires on unincorporated private land and all state lands in the counties, except where fire pits are designated. The order also places restrictions on smoking, fireworks, some types of ammunition, some types of metal industrial work near vegetation and engines that don’t have spark arrestors.
The Utah State Forester took measures permitted by Utah law in Box Elder, Cache, Rich and Weber Counties. A violation of the order carries a legal punishment of up to six months in jail and a fine up to $1,000. Law enforcement agencies in each county are assigned to enforce the restrictions.
The restrictions prohibits:
- Open fires of any kind except in public facilities in improved campgrounds or in permanently constructed fire pits in homes with running water
- Smoking except inside vehicles, trailers or buildings, a developed recreation site or in an area paved or free from vegetation
- Discharging fireworks, tracer ammo or other pyrotechnic devices
- Cutting, welding or grinding metal in areas of dry vegetation
- Using a motorcycle, chainsaw, ATV or other small combustion engine without an approved, functional spark arrestor
On duty firefighters and those with a permit or waiver from the Utah Division of Natural Resources are exempt from the order.
The order includes all unincorporated private lands and all state lands in the four counties and does not affect private lands in incorporated towns or city limits.
The order went into effect On July 18.
KSL 5 TV Live
- How to see the Northern Lights, sighted recently in Utah skies (pageviews: 30730)
- Greatest snow on Earth: Utah's snowpack hits record high (pageviews: 16278)
- Two dead, one critically injured after crash in Magna (pageviews: 11076)
- Utah will likely set historic snow record Friday (pageviews: 9663)
- UPDATE: Interlodge lifted at Snowbird, Alta Ski Area; SR-210 reopens (pageviews: 9130)
- Police: Grantsville man shot himself upon police serving search warrant (pageviews: 7166)