New bill helps seniors with the rise in property taxes
The rise in property taxes is affecting seniors’ that are on a fixed income, but local lawmakers created a bill to help combat it.
“I am paying ‘rent’ to the county,” said Duane Sjoberg, 81-year-old Bountiful homeowner.
Sjoberg and his wife bought their Bountiful home 52 years ago for $25,000. Now, he said homes in his neighborhood are selling for over $540,000 dollars.
“It’s really crazy that people are paying this much for houses,” said Sjoberg.
Sjoberg said he is paying as much for property taxes as he did for his mortgage.
Many senior citizens are feeling this same pain – State senator Lincoln Fillmore created a new bill to help with that pain, SB 25.
The bill defers homeowners’ property taxes, until the property is sold or until the homeowner dies — in that case it would go to the homeowners’ heirs to pay the property taxes plus interest.
“Our goal is to keep finically vulnerable adults in their homes and not get taxed out as property taxes rise,” said Sen. Fillmore.
Fillmore said to qualify for this program you must be 75 years old or older, live on a fixed income, and a few other qualifications.
For Sjoberg, he said the property tax deferral is something he is considering.
“I was thinking if I am here for 10 more years, that’s 30,000 plus interest,” he said. “I spoke with both my kids, and they said, ‘if that’s what you want to do, do it.’”
Property taxes are not due until the end of November, but Fillmore said not every county in the state is taking part of the program.
Filmore said to call your county accessor or county clerk to see if they are offering the program and to also see if you qualify.
- After loud boom across Utah, here’s why you should check your yard for treasure – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 13500)
- Utah player suffers tragic accident just days before Little League World Series (pageviews: 8905)
- After loud boom across Utah, here’s why you should check your yard for treasure (pageviews: 8598)
- Neighborhood supports family of West Jordan mom killed in Big Cottonwood Canyon crash (pageviews: 7665)
- West Jordan woman killed in crash with truck in Big Cottonwood Canyon (pageviews: 6396)
- Heber homicide suspect found dead in Oregon (pageviews: 4997)