Goshen home a ‘total loss’ after fireworks start blaze in Utah County
Jul 22, 2022, 7:38 PM | Updated: May 21, 2023, 4:38 pm
GOSHEN, Utah — A Utah County home is a total loss after a structure fire associated with fireworks blazed up Friday.
The Utah County Fire Marshall say a firework and a hay pile led to the destruction of the home in tiny Goshen Utah in the southern reaches of the county.
“It’s hot and dry out here, please be careful and avoid unnecessary risk this holiday weekend,” the fire marshal Twitter account said.”Protect yourself from accidents with fireworks.”
The fire, and warning, came as Salt Lake City temperatures reached a record-tying 104 degrees. Fireworks are legal for a short time around the celebration of Pioneer Day and Pie and Beer day. Utah’s Gov. Spencer Cox implored residents to be careful and avoid anything unsafe.
We’re in Goshen working a structure fire associated with fireworks. It’s hot and dry out here. Please be careful and avoid unnecessary risk this holiday weekend. pic.twitter.com/3FizChyQ3L
— Utah County Fire Marshal (@UC_FireMarshal) July 22, 2022
Sgt. Spencer Cannon with the Utah County Sheriff’s Office said the firework shot toward the hay bales next to the house, starting a fire that couldn’t be controlled until the structure was ruined. He said Goshen Genola and Santaquin fire departments would take several hours to put the fire out.