1 dead, WB I-80 shut down after car crossed into oncoming traffic
SALT LAKE COUNTY, Utah — At least one person has died following a fiery head-on collision near Great Saltair in Salt Lake County.
The crash happened near mile marker 108 of Interstate 80 around 8:30 p.m.
WB I-80 Closed
at MP 108 (4 mi E of Saltair) Salt Lake Co.
Use Alt Route
For updates: https://t.co/jaVMw7vcLm
— UDOT Traffic (@UDOTTRAFFIC) July 24, 2022
According to preliminary information from Utah Highway Patrol Cpl. Michael Gordon, a vehicle was traveling eastbound on I-80 when it crossed the median into the westbound lanes, rolled, then struck another vehicle head-on.
“Due to the violent nature of that accident, one of the vehicles became engulfed in flames,” Gordon said.
The driver of the eastbound vehicle died from their injuries, while the occupants of the westbound vehicle were evaluated on scene and then transported to local area hospitals.
Gordon said westbound I-80 will be closed in that area for the next two to three hours, while troopers are looking to open at least one lane in the eastbound direction.
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 8591)
- Hiker with flip-flops grateful to be alive after fall at Bridal Veil Falls – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7853)
- Iconic Stranger Things house for sale – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4030)
- St. George grandma pregnant, carrying son’s baby after his wife’s hysterectomy (pageviews: 3671)
- St. George grandma pregnant, carrying son’s baby after his wife’s hysterectomy – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3209)
- ‘Totally devastated’: Trucks, trailers and ATVs stolen from Pleasant Grove neighborhood (pageviews: 2231)