Motorcyclist killed in Salt Lake after getting rear-ended by driver using Tesla autopilot
SALT LAKE CITY — A motorcyclist died after getting hit from behind on Interstate 15 early Sunday morning.
The collision happened on I-15 near 15000 South at about 1:10 a.m.
“The driver of the Tesla said that the vehicle had been on the autopilot setting,” said Cpl. Michael Gordon with the Utah Highway Patrol.
He said the Tesla driver told officers that he did not see the motorcycle. The collision threw the victim from the motorcycle.
The motorcyclist died at the scene.
“Just because your vehicle may be equipped with driver-assisted settings or autopilot features, the law requires the operator of that vehicle to still be attentive, be watching the road,” Gordon said.
Gordon did not say whether the man driving the Tesla would be cited or charged.
No names have been released.
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 8591)
- Hiker with flip-flops grateful to be alive after fall at Bridal Veil Falls – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7853)
- Iconic Stranger Things house for sale – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4030)
- St. George grandma pregnant, carrying son’s baby after his wife’s hysterectomy (pageviews: 3671)
- St. George grandma pregnant, carrying son’s baby after his wife’s hysterectomy – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3209)
- ‘Totally devastated’: Trucks, trailers and ATVs stolen from Pleasant Grove neighborhood (pageviews: 2231)