Orem temple catches fire in upper floor overnight
OREM, Utah — A fire was extinguished in the Orem Utah Temple after starting late Monday evening on the third floor.
Battalion Chief Shaun Hirst with Orem Fire Department said the fire was called in by people passing on Interstate-15 and people in nearby apartments.
Fire crews arrived to find light smoke and a “burned out room.”
The cause is still under investigation, but Hirst said they can’t share much.
“With the nature of the property… we’re making sure we’re doing anything to rule suspicious activity out,” Hirst said.
Hirst did not know a damage estimate and said that would have to come from the church.
The temple, which is currently under construction, had visible flames just before midnight according to Doug Andersen, a spokesman for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Andersen released the following statement regarding the fire, “The source of the fire is not yet known, but it is believed that the fire started on the third floor of the temple. Foam was used to extinguish the fire as much as possible, which limited water damage to the construction site. Damage is still being evaluated this morning. The Church is grateful to the Orem Fire Department for their quick response.”
- Utah state prisons on lockdown after three assaults against officers (pageviews: 6644)
- West Jordan mother in the ICU after being hit by snowmobile while tubing (pageviews: 6488)
- Provo will soon be welcoming its 1st full-size Target store (pageviews: 4817)
- 7 arrested in drug trafficking investigation in Utah and Salt Lake counties (pageviews: 3927)
- Chilling search history on Enoch father's phone: 'Can neighbors hear gunshots?' (pageviews: 3512)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 3261)