Ex-Marine arrested for alleged plan to target synagogue, minorities in planned attack
HONOLULU, Hawaii (KITV) — A former Marine based in Hawaii remains in federal custody tonight, after he was accused of planning an attack on a New York synagogue. He allegedly had plans to engage in “widespread homicide and sexual assault” against minorities, according to reports.
Matthew Belanger pleaded not guilty in court this week to federal weapons offenses.
Belanger was a Lance Corporal stationed at the Marine Corpse Base Hawaii in Kanehoe. He was discharged from service last May due to alleged “dissident/extremist activity.”
Federal prosecutors allege Belanger was a leader of a neo-Nazi group that planned attacks on a synagogue, Jewish persons, women, and minorities.
Belanger has not been charged with hate crimes nor conducting or threatening attacks.
His trial for the weapons charges is set for September.
The-CNN-Wire™ & © 2022 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.
- Police: Man steals excavator, tears up ground outside grocery store (pageviews: 10928)
- Utah company must pay FTC over $200,000 for their fake ‘made in the USA’ tags – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 10276)
- Flash flood advisory for Salt Lake, Davis County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 8607)
- USANA Amphitheatre briefly evacuated due to weather – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6176)
- Utah company must pay FTC over $200,000 for their fake 'made in the USA' tags (pageviews: 5885)
- Hiker seriously injured by falling rock in Little Cottonwood Canyon (pageviews: 5171)
- Hiker seriously injured by falling rock in Little Cottonwood Canyon – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5037)