SLCPD arrest juvenile for shooting gun into the air and fleeing
SALT LAKE CITY — A teenager is in police custody after allegedly shooting a handgun into the air while leaving a birthday party drunk.
According to Salt Lake City police, the 16-year-old boy was at a birthday party and tried to leave in a car while drunk in the area of 2000 West Sir Charles Drive around 3 a.m Sunday.
Witnesses told police that bystanders tried to stop him from leaving, and that’s when he shot the gun in the air and pointed it at others. He left in his car and no one was hurt.
Police learned the suspect’s name and the car he was driving, and began searching for him.
Around 3:30 a.m, police found the car driving near 300 South Cheyenne Street. When officers tried to pull him over, he fled from police and crashed around 1500 West 400 South.
The teenager ran on foot but was caught shortly afterward, according to police.
Detectives with our Gang Unit arrested a 16-year-old juvenile after he allegedly shot a gun into the air and later ran from police. For more information, please read our press release:https://t.co/w1VDPIJYca#SaltLakeCity #SLC #SLCPD pic.twitter.com/GHtzw8CY2N
— Salt Lake City Police (@slcpd) August 1, 2022
SLCPD officers took the teenager to the hospital, where he was cleared of medical issues.
Officers got a search warrant for the teenager’s car and found the possible firearm used.
The 16-year-old boy was booked into the Salt Lake Valley Detention Center for:
- aggravated assault (x2),
- felony discharge of a firearm,
- felony failure to respond to officer’s signal to stop,
- failure to stop at the command of a police officer,
- possession of a firearm by a restricted person,
- possession of marijuana,
- hit and run.
KSL 5 TV Live
- First temple in Virginia opens its doors to the public (pageviews: 15140)
- Utah man bit by shark while swimming in Hawaii (pageviews: 14902)
- Man in custody, accused of filming children in the bathroom of his business (pageviews: 14198)
- Important dates, rendering released for 3 Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint temples (pageviews: 9037)
- Utah will likely set historic snow record Friday (pageviews: 8110)
- 3 killed in head-on crash in Kane County (pageviews: 6625)