Murray awards bystanders and workers for saving woman
MURRAY, Utah — Seven months after a horrible accident in Murray, there was a reunion for the people who helped save a woman’s life.
It all happened in a Costco parking lot on Dec. 20. Heather Van Boerum was heading in to do some shopping when she was hit by a car going 30 mph.
As a tragic result, she lost both of her legs that night. But employees here stepped in and helped to save her life. On Monday, the city honored them for their heroic efforts.
On that hot summer night in Murray, Van Boerum was thankful.
“I’m feeling just a lot of love and gratitude right now,” Van Boerum said. “Oh, it’s the best. It’s amazing. I’ve wanted to see them in person. It was a much different evening last Dec. 20.”
Van Boerum remembers that night well. She was walking into Costco when she was hit by a car. She remembers those who rushed to help.
“Immediately, immediately. They came right to my aide.”
So to honor them, on stage, was a night she’s looked forward to.
“This is very emotional for me to know that because of them I’m here….we were all sharing glances and getting teary-eyed,” Van Boerum said.
Bree Bonfoey was working at Costco that night. She is now being recognized with her team months later. Bonfoey says her team would help again and they are stronger because of that tragic night.
“I think it’s wonderful that it’s still kind of going on and that there’s this level of gratitude and appreciation,” Bonfoey said.
“I think we will all forever share this experience and look to each other that way and have that unspoken moment. And respect and admiration for each other because of that night.”
As for Van Boerum, she said she’s learned a lot since that night.
“There is always hope in tragedy and that anyone can get through anything and make something positive come from it,” Van Boerum said.
KSL TV’s Debbie Worthen asked Bonfoey what she would say to people in this era of contention, she said when it comes to helping, follow your heart. Help where you can.
She also said that Costco has looked to implement more extensive emergency training since last December.
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7743)
- ‘They’re all in imminent danger’: Video shows violence after Utah prison allowed gangs to mingle (pageviews: 7192)
- Hiker with flip-flops grateful to be alive after fall at Bridal Veil Falls – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6691)
- St. George grandma pregnant, carrying son’s baby after his wife’s hysterectomy (pageviews: 3418)
- World record for longest long-range rifle shot broken Tuesday – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3153)
- World record for longest long-range rifle shot broken Tuesday (pageviews: 2768)