Utah family hasn’t seen father in nearly 1,000 days due to COVID-19 travel restrictions
SHANGHAI, China — The last time Emsley Helms hugged her father was when she dropped him off at the airport after celebrating the Thanksgiving holiday in 2019. He boarded a flight to start his journey home to Shanghai, where he has lived for about a decade.
“None of us were expecting to not see him three years later,” Emsley Helms said.
Helms’s father had plans to visit in March of 2020 for her sister’s birthday but that trip was postponed due to the pandemic. The family has since tried to rebook his trip, but his flights continued to be canceled.
“The flight my dad has been trying to book has been canceled four times,” she said. “If there are any positive cases on flights going back to China, that flight is either canceled or delayed.”
The cancelations have created a snowball effect and ultimately hikes ticket prices, Helms said. Before the pandemic, her father would visit Utah every four months for about $700 round trip.
“Flights are like $15,000 right now averaging,” Hemls said. “Sometimes they are $11,000 sometimes they are $20,000. And even if you book it, it is not a guarantee that you will get your money back if the flight is canceled.”
She is sharing her story to let other families who have loved ones in China know that they are not alone. She is hopeful that COVID-19 travel restrictions there are lifted in the near future as her family approaches 1,000 days of not being able to see their father.
“I also hope airlines realize what hiking these prices are doing and how it’s making it impossible for families to see each other,” Helms said. “The same for governmental affairs or people in the government to realize and want to make an active step to reunite families again.”
For now the family has to resort to FaceTime calls to communicate with their father but are praying they can have their next gathering in-person.
“It’s just different when you are talking on FaceTime versus seeing him in person,” Helms said. “I miss having him physically in front of me, being able to give him a hug, and for him to hug me back.”
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7743)
- ‘They’re all in imminent danger’: Video shows violence after Utah prison allowed gangs to mingle (pageviews: 7192)
- Hiker with flip-flops grateful to be alive after fall at Bridal Veil Falls – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6691)
- St. George grandma pregnant, carrying son’s baby after his wife’s hysterectomy (pageviews: 3418)
- World record for longest long-range rifle shot broken Tuesday – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3153)
- World record for longest long-range rifle shot broken Tuesday (pageviews: 2768)