UPDATE: Herriman woman wanted for breaking into ex’s home, placing child at risk is in police custody
UPDATE: Madeline Bernadette Lopez was arrested Tuesday night and booked into Utah County Jail on multiple charges, including:
- Burglary of a dwelling/domestic violence, 2nd degree felony
- Criminal mischief/domestic violence, 3rd degree felony
- Aggravated assault/domestic violence, 3rd degree felony
- Domestic violence in the presence of a child, class B misdemeanor
- Reckless endangerment, class A misdemeanor
- Burglary of a vehicle, class A misdemeanor
Authorities say Lopez is currently being held without bail “because a judge has not yet been able to review the probable cause statement related to her arrest.”
— Utah County Sheriff (@UCSO) August 17, 2022
UTAH COUNTY, Utah — The Utah County Sheriff’s office is looking for a woman who allegedly slashed an ex-boyfriend’s tires and broke into his home Sunday afternoon.
Witnesses reported seeing Madeline Bernadette Lopez, 21, of Herriman, slashing his car’s tires and scratching words into the paint of the car at approximately 3:45 p.m., according to the Sheriff’s office who is also asking for the public’s help locating her.
According to police, after damaging the car, Lopez went to the man’s apartment, where she attempted to open the door, but he refused to let her in. The victim told police that Lopez used a device that delivers a shock-device to incapacitate people on his door handle.
He said he opened the door just a crash and Lopez forcefully pushed it open while he was holding their 13-month-year-old child.
She reportedly held the shock device close to the man and the child and demanded that he put the child down. The man backed all the way down the hallway to get away from her. Deputies said he was eventually able to rush around her and leave the apartment.
Madeline Lopez, 21, Herriman, is wanted by @UCSO Deputies for domestic violence related burglary and aggravated assault. They have spoken to her by phone but she refuses to turn herself in. Her ex-boyfriend and their 13 month old child could be in danger. https://t.co/gE85KT3mfn pic.twitter.com/fIl2DloUt0
— Utah County Sheriff (@UCSO) August 16, 2022
Lopez reportedly told him as he was leaving that he couldn’t go anywhere because she slashed his tires. She also claimed she could return and take the baby anytime she wanted.
She left the apartment, got into a waiting car driven by Dana Michelle Islas Candelas, 19, of Murray, and fled the area. Utah County Sheriff deputies attempted to call Lopez and ask her to turn herself in, but she refused. Lopez told the deputies that she just wanted her child.
Deputies said possible charges include:
- Burglary of a dwelling with domestic violence, a second degree felony
- Aggravated assault with domestic violence, a third degree felony
- Criminal mischief, a third degree felony
- Domestic violence in the presence of a child, a class B misdemeanor
- Disorderly conduct, infraction
Candelas could face charges of criminal mischief and disorderly conduct for her role in driving Lopez. Charges are filed by the district attorney, not by deputies or police officers.
Lopez has previous charges of domestic assault, theft, and assault on an officer. Law enforcement is looking for Candelas and Lopez and ask anyone with information on the two suspects to call Central Utah 911 dispatch at (801) 794-3970.
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 9218)
- Hiker with flip-flops grateful to be alive after fall at Bridal Veil Falls – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4825)
- Iconic Stranger Things house for sale – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3408)
- Woman killed, boyfriend arrested after SLC apartment complex shooting (pageviews: 3366)
- One person dead after shooting at Salt Lake City apartment complex (pageviews: 2413)
- St. George grandma pregnant, carrying son’s baby after his wife’s hysterectomy – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2241)