Spanish Fork man makes his own traffic safety signs to slow drivers near school
SPANISH FORK, Utah — As school gets back in session, a Spanish Fork man is taking a different approach to encourage drivers to slow down.
Cory Davis created his own signs that sit in his driveway reminding cars to follow the speed limit. He first put up his A frame 25 miles per hour speed limit sign after a stop sign on his street was taken down.
“They removed a stop sign on my corner and with doing so, we started to get more traffic coming down this road and speeds increasing,” he said.
Davis contacted the city. His said city leaders told him they were rerouting traffic off of Main Street, given the recent growth in population.
Davis said he’s seeing more bad habits on the road. He added a yellow sign that reads, “Please slow down. School is Starting!”
“This year with all of the pedestrian accidents, people getting ran over, and hit-and-runs, the increase of people are driving and distracted driving,” he said was his motivation for taking matters into his own hands.
Davis runs his own sign shop. He decided to use his talents to advertise safety, especially with more school children walking on his street to get to school.
He said the way the signs are received varies.
“Some people just look over and smile…some have gotten a little bit vocal about it, but I’ve done the same,” he said.
Davis says there’s a bigger lesson to be learned, one he can’t write on a sign.
“As a society, if we become more aware of it and start thinking about….the other guy and how our behavior affects others, those are the things that are going to make the change,” he said.
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7743)
- ‘They’re all in imminent danger’: Video shows violence after Utah prison allowed gangs to mingle (pageviews: 7192)
- Hiker with flip-flops grateful to be alive after fall at Bridal Veil Falls – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6691)
- St. George grandma pregnant, carrying son’s baby after his wife’s hysterectomy (pageviews: 3418)
- World record for longest long-range rifle shot broken Tuesday – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3153)
- World record for longest long-range rifle shot broken Tuesday (pageviews: 2768)