Fire damages playground at Naples Elementary School
NAPLES, Utah — A playground behind Naples Elementary School sustained “substantial” damage Monday after a fire broke out on the grounds.
Officials with the Uintah School District said the blaze was reported at approximately 3:45 p.m.
Fortunately, classes do not start until Wednesday, so no students were at the school.
Some teachers and staff members were in the building for training, however, district officials said they evacuated safely through the front of the school, adding that there were no injuries.
“Naples City firefighters put the fire out, but the main play structure suffered heavy damage,” read a Monday afternoon press release from the Uintah School District.
Investigators deemed the fire accidental.
“They determined it was the result of a school maintenance project that took place on the playground earlier in the day. The maintenance worker who completed the project stated that he saw no smoke or signs of fire when he finished the job. School surveillance video supported his statement, showing the fire starting hours after the work was done,” the release stated.
District officials said damage to the playground has been estimated at $70,000, adding that the entire play structure will have to be replaced.
“School administrators will have a new plan in place for recess when classes start later this week. They will also take steps to prevent access to the damaged playground,” the release concluded.
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 17246)
- Residential care facility faces fine after woman pronounced dead found gasping for air in body bag (pageviews: 12125)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 10592)
- Missing Arizona girl found in basement of convicted Utah sex offender on parole (pageviews: 7906)
- 2 former Stansbury High School teammates to faceoff in the Super Bowl (pageviews: 4332)
- Utah man arrested for rape of child after toddler diagnosed with STI (pageviews: 2848)