Crews battling house fire in Layton; Hill Field Road reopened in area
LAYTON, Utah — Firefighters responded to a house fire near the Layton Hills Mall Wednesday morning.
Battalion Chief Jason Cook with the Layton Fire Department said crews received several 911 calls at approximately 7 a.m. due to the smoke’s visibility along Hill Field Road.
The home’s owner self-evacuated and is safe, and firefighters asked the public to avoid the area. Both directions of Hill Field Road were closed at 1300 North until 10:24 a.m.
Cook said firefighters weren’t able to enter the home, so they fought it defensively from the exterior. Indirect firefighting, paired with lots of fuel and debris in the home meant it would be a long, slow, stubborn fire, he said.
Crews also located small amounts of propane and black powder in the basement, but the fire was contained to the main level. Cook said they felt confident the combustibles wouldn’t complicate the fire.
No cause for the fire has been released but it is under investigation.
- Utah state prisons on lockdown after three assaults against officers (pageviews: 6644)
- West Jordan mother in the ICU after being hit by snowmobile while tubing (pageviews: 6488)
- Provo will soon be welcoming its 1st full-size Target store (pageviews: 4817)
- 7 arrested in drug trafficking investigation in Utah and Salt Lake counties (pageviews: 3927)
- Chilling search history on Enoch father's phone: 'Can neighbors hear gunshots?' (pageviews: 3512)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 3261)