One in critical condition after 2-semi crash on westbound I-80
TOOELE COUNTY, Utah — One person was hospitalized in critical condition after two semi-trucks were involved in a crash on westbound Interstate 80.
According to Sgt. Cameron Roden with the Utah Highway Patrol, the crash happened just over 40 miles from the Utah-Nevada border at approximately 2 a.m. Friday.
One of the semi-trucks was westbound in the right lane when it was struck from behind by the second semi.
A Tooele County semi crash with injuries has Westbound I-80 traffic closed at milepost 41. Traffic is being diverted off the off-ramp at 41 then right back on the on-ramp. Crews estimate several hours for cleanup. pic.twitter.com/xbKURb03SZ
— Utah Highway Patrol (@UTHighwayPatrol) August 26, 2022
The trucks pulled over to the right shoulder, and then both semis caught fire.
The front truck driver was not injured while the driver of the second truck was airlifted to an area hospital in critical condition. One of the trucks was hauling car parts while the other was transporting wheat.
It is estimated traffic on westbound I-80 will be diverted until noon while crews investigate and clean up the crash. Roden said traffic is being diverted off at exit 41 and allowed back on at the same exit.
UHP said the cause of the crash is still under investigation.
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 17246)
- Residential care facility faces fine after woman pronounced dead found gasping for air in body bag (pageviews: 12125)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 10592)
- Missing Arizona girl found in basement of convicted Utah sex offender on parole (pageviews: 7906)
- 2 former Stansbury High School teammates to faceoff in the Super Bowl (pageviews: 4332)
- Utah man arrested for rape of child after toddler diagnosed with STI (pageviews: 2848)