Why one part-time Utah mayor just announced he’s going full-time
MIDVALE, Utah — Many mayors in Utah are part-time, especially those in smaller cities, but one recently announced he’s now dedicating himself to the job full-time.
Midvale Mayor Marcus Stevenson just left his other part-time job so that he could focus on the city.
“Midvale needs an advocate right now on many critical issues facing the city,” he told KSL TV.
He said it’s been hard to find enough hours in the day as he’s juggled responsibilities since he took office in January. While leading Midvale, Stevenson continued working at an environmental nonprofit whose goal is to improve air quality.
“I’ve got three kids at home, a wife, and trying to make sure that I could put 100% into two jobs and a full family is a pretty hard thing to do,” he said, “So, this really came with having many discussions with my wife, who’s very supportive.”
Stevenson said he’s OK with the part-time mayor pay of about $60,000 per year. He feels “lucky” that it’s higher than many other part-time mayors in the state. He’s not seeking a pay increase or a change to the job description.
With the mayor spending more time at city hall, he wants to push for more funding from the state and county and to seek out more grants. He says the rec centers and library are getting old.
“As a community, we’re lower income compared to the rest of the county,” Stevenson said, “and really, it’s my job to get resources here.”
Other key issues for him include public safety, homelessness and making the city more walkable and bikeable.
Stevenson said he was already working close to 40 hours a week on his mayoral duties, so leaving his other job frees him up to focus on the city and his family.
“It’s trying to find flexibility as I try to make sure I’m an active and engaged father at home, that I’m a good partner to my wife, and a good advocate to my city,” he said.
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 16557)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 16009)
- Residential care facility faces fine after woman pronounced dead found gasping for air in body bag (pageviews: 13809)
- Missing Arizona girl found in basement of convicted Utah sex offender on parole (pageviews: 9044)
- 2 former Stansbury High School teammates to faceoff in the Super Bowl (pageviews: 7278)
- Missing Massachusetts girl found in Utah; man arrested for alleged human trafficking - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3003)