Utah man says shooting victim died in his arms
One day after a third arrest in a shooting in downtown Salt Lake City, a Utah man shares his video of the moments following the crime.
Eli Paul told KSL TV he and his family were headed to fancy dinner when they saw a man, lying on the ground, waving his arms for help. Paul got out of the car and ran to help.
“I grabbed his chest,” said Paul. “He had a bullet wound.”
Police said Deliford Knight, from Florida, had just left a shoe convention at the Salt Palace.
According to a police report, Knight and friends travel the country to attend conventions like the one being held Saturday and they try to defraud people out of money.
Police say that’s what led to the shooting. They say Nunu Kug shot and killed Knight after being a victim to the scam. Two others are charged in the murder; Joshua Riak and Deng Buk, who KSL.com confirmed is the brother of Buk Buk, the man charged with murdering University of Utah Football player Aaron Lowe last October.
Paul and his family did not witness the shooting. But say they will never forget the scene when they arrived. Paul got down on the ground with Knight to try to comfort him.
“I got you, I got you,” Paul told Knight.
But moments later, Knight died.
“I didn’t know he was going to die,” said Paul. “So when he died, his eyes went like, rolled back and then he took his last breath.”
On the cell phone video, police arrived moments later and can be heard telling Paul they had been sent to the wrong address first.
Paul says he was taken to the police station for questioning and later met with therapists there. Paul will meet with them again on Friday. He says he hasn’t been the same since.
“I cry every day,” Paul said. “I close my eyes, I see his eyes.”
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 9917)
- Forest ranger quashes rumors of Pineview Reservoir in town meeting - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7430)
- 18 new temples announced during October 2022 General Conference (pageviews: 4158)
- Live (pageviews: 3395)
- Weather officials warn of hazardous storm with hail, lighting, and 60mph winds in southern and eastern Utah (pageviews: 2952)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County (pageviews: 2084)