Troopers: 6-year-old boy killed in I-215 crash that sent 9 people to hospital
MIDVALE, Utah — Utah Highway Patrol said a six-year-old boy died Thursday after a multi-car crash on I-215 that resulted in nine total patients being transported to area hospitals.
The 6-year-old had been traveling with his mom and two sisters when the collision occurred, according to UHP Sgt. Cameron Roden.
Roden said the mother and sisters were initially said to be in critical condition, but the condition of one of the sisters had improved significantly by Thursday night. He said the three were all expected to survive.
The crash that involved at least six vehicles including a car-hauler near 500 East shut down the westbound lanes at the south end of the eastside belt for hours as troopers investigated.
UHP Lt. Jalaine Hawkes said at the scene that most of the cars had slowed or stopped in afternoon traffic, except for one.
“The car-hauler that is unfortunately the most heavy, the biggest, kind of the most dangerous is kind of the vehicle that was not stopped and was actually traveling at a higher rate of speed and then did collide with multiple vehicles at this location,” Hawkes said.
Among those involved in the crash was a friend of George and Dian Pollard.
“She just kept saying, ‘it was awful,’” Dian Pollard said.
George Pollard said the woman emphasized that she wanted to get out of the situation as quickly as possible.
“We could see her car and how it was pinned in between the car and the semi,” he said. “Pray for them.”
Roden said Thursday night that no citations were issued at the scene and the findings of the crash were likely to be screened by prosecutors.
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 9917)
- Forest ranger quashes rumors of Pineview Reservoir in town meeting - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7430)
- 18 new temples announced during October 2022 General Conference (pageviews: 4158)
- Live (pageviews: 3395)
- Weather officials warn of hazardous storm with hail, lighting, and 60mph winds in southern and eastern Utah (pageviews: 2952)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County (pageviews: 2084)