Man killed in Uber crash with TRAX train identified, no charges made for driver
SALT LAKE CITY — A man who was killed Wednesday in an Uber when the car was struck by a TRAX train was identified Friday.
The victim was identified as 28-year-old Jalen Neal.
According to the Salt Lake City Police Department, the investigation began at 7:49 a.m. Wednesday when dispatch received information about a crash between a UTA train and a car near 700 South West Temple Street.
When police arrived, Gold Cross and the Salt Lake City Fire Department informed them Neal had critical injuries and while lifesaving efforts were given, Neal died on scene.
A release from police states, “Initially, UTA assumed control of this investigation. However, after the death, and in consultation with UTA, UTA requested the assistance of the Salt Lake City Police Department and its Crash Analysis Reconstruction Team. Based on preliminary information, the driver of a Chevrolet Bolt crashed into the UTA train as it crossed 700 South.”
The impact killed Neal, who was a rear passenger inside the Bolt.
The driver was uninjured and was working as an Uber driver or ride-share driver at the time of the crash.
Uber released the following statement to KSL TV, “Our hearts are with the rider’s loved ones during their time of mourning. We have deactivated the driver, and we stand ready to assist law enforcement with their investigation.”
The driver’s name is not being released at this time.
No charges have been filed, and no citations or arrests have been made.
The release states, “this remains an ongoing investigation.”
This is the 22nd deadly traffic-related incident in Salt Lake City for 2022.
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 9917)
- Forest ranger quashes rumors of Pineview Reservoir in town meeting - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7430)
- 18 new temples announced during October 2022 General Conference (pageviews: 4158)
- Live (pageviews: 3395)
- Weather officials warn of hazardous storm with hail, lighting, and 60mph winds in southern and eastern Utah (pageviews: 2952)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County (pageviews: 2084)