Man accused of stabbing 2 people in Salt Lake City now faces charges
SALT LAKE CITY — A man accused of stabbing two people within a week in Salt Lake City has been charged in connection with one of those crimes.
Mario Lynn Fresques, 32, of Salt Lake City, was charged Tuesday in 3rd District Court with aggravated assault resulting in serious injury, a second-degree felony; and possession of a weapon by a restricted person, a third-degree felony.
On Sept. 11, Fresques allegedly stabbed a 38-year-old woman near 550 W. 300 South. The woman suffered a stab wound to her upper right chest area just below her armpit, charging documents state. She was taken to a local hospital in critical condition.
Fresques was arrested Saturday after allegedly stabbing a 39-year-old man multiple times, including in the neck, in the same area as the first incident. As of midday Tuesday, formal charges had not been filed in that case.
Salt Lake police stated that the attacks appeared to be random and targeted the homeless community.
Prosecutors have requested that Fresques be held in the Salt Lake County Jail without bail pending trial, noting that he was already on probation at the time of the stabbing.
In April, Fresques was convicted of theft by receiving stolen property after police found him in a stolen car. He was sentenced to three years of probation. He was also found guilty of the same crime in a similar case in 2019 and was convicted of failing to stop at the command of police in 2021, court records state.
“Based on the defendant’s history of fleeing from police and resisting arrest, the state believes that he is likely to flee the court’s jurisdiction if released on bail,” prosecutors stated in court documents in requesting that he be held without bail.
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 9148)
- 18 new temples announced during October 2022 General Conference (pageviews: 5383)
- Weather officials warn of hazardous storm with hail, lighting, and 60mph winds in southern and eastern Utah (pageviews: 3392)
- 'He seemed prepared for battle:' Neighbors terrified after encounter with armed stranger (pageviews: 2595)
- Live (pageviews: 2201)
- Coach, kicker & official reflect on Cottonwood High's rare, game-winning play (pageviews: 2139)