UHP cracks down on unsafe drivers along I-15
SALT LAKE COUNTY — Utah Highway Patrol troopers were out in force Wednesday, to remind drivers to slow down along a stretch of I-15 known for its speeding.
“Anytime there’s a police officer present, there’s a change in driving behavior,” said Trooper Mike Alexander.
That was part of the motive for Salt Lake and Utah County troopers to join forces along I-15 between 11400 South and Lehi Main Street.
“The point of the mountain is notorious for excessive speeds,” Alexander said, adding that speed is the biggest factor in crashes.
“It’s very easy to go fast. Engines are high performing so they’re capable of going fast. But that doesn’t mean their brakes capable of it. That doesn’t mean that their vehicle is capable of crashes at 10 mph.”
State law requires a minimum of two seconds between cars. Alexander says the reason for that is that you never know what’s ahead. In between traffic stops during Wednesday’s morning commute, troopers also helped a driver get off the road safely after the van’s axle broke.
“You’re driving a piece of equipment that weighs several thousand pounds and you’re responsible for what that vehicle does,” Alexander said.
Troopers were also educating drivers about good driving behaviors like buckling up, using their signals, and watching their speed—even if they think it’s acceptable.
“I hear that all the time when I stop somebody, ‘well I thought that 10 over was okay’, and it’s not. The speed limit says limit for a reason and that’s what the speed limit is.”
By 10 a.m. Wednesday troopers stopped more than 100 drivers and gave citations, warnings, and most importantly educated drivers.
- High winds, heavy snow warning for ‘hazardous conditions’ Friday morning - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 17145)
- SB I-15 reopens in Layton following police chase, shooting (pageviews: 9231)
- SB I-15 closed in Layton following police chase, shooting (pageviews: 6159)
- High winds, heavy snow warning for 'hazardous conditions' Friday morning (pageviews: 5239)
- Witness recounts 'miraculous' Moab rescue after BASE jumper crashes into cliff (pageviews: 4464)
- SB I-15 reopens in Layton following police chase, shooting - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4141)