TRAX station, 1300 South reopen after scaffolding collapses during storm
SALT LAKE CITY — Cleanup crews have cleared 1300 South and the TRAX Ballpark Station after scaffolding from a construction site collapsed during a storm Thursday night.
Authorities say a microburst blew threw the area around 8:30 p.m. It was strong enough to bring down piles of wood, metal and other debris from an apartment complex that’s under construction next to the station and 1300 South.
“I’ve never seen something like this, quite the significant after a short significant storm burst like this,” said Salt Lake City Police Department spokesperson Brent Weisberg.
— Matt Rascon (@MattRasconNews) September 30, 2022
All TRAX trains were turned around at the Ballpark station and 1300 South was closed between 300 West and West Temple while cleanup crews were on scene.
Police said no one was walking near the construction site when the scaffolding crashed down, and no injuries were reported.
“This is a really busy part of Salt Lake City,” Weisberg said. “This is the Ballpark neighborhood, there are always people coming and going. We are right along the TRAX platform here and the TRAX Line. So, really this is very lucky that no one was hurt in this situation.”
Firefighters were on scene Thursday night to check on the building’s structural integrity.
The Utah Transit Authority said TRAX trains resumed normal service Friday morning.
#TRAX Update 5:24 AM: The bus bridge between Central Pointe and 900 S is no longer in effect as of 9.30.2022. Ballpark Station is open, and trains in the area have resumed normal service.
— Utah Transit Authority – UTA (@RideUTA) September 30, 2022
- Utah’s second Topgolf location to open Friday - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 15103)
- SB I-15 closed in Layton following police chase, shooting (pageviews: 6159)
- Utah’s second Topgolf location to open Friday (pageviews: 5870)
- Teens build intricate 'Gingerbread Cathedral,' get out of writing essay (pageviews: 4804)
- SB I-15 reopens in Layton following police chase, shooting (pageviews: 4665)
- Witness recounts 'miraculous' Moab rescue after BASE jumper crashes into cliff (pageviews: 3558)