Parents of teen hit by car in Bountiful crosswalk urge drivers to pay attention
SALT LAKE CITY – The parents of a teen hit by a car on Wednesday are grateful he’s alive, and they’re also urging drivers to pay more attention.
Sara Munger said her son Isaiah, 13, was hit by a turning car in Bountiful while he was on his way home from school. The boy was riding his bike in the crosswalk. He was rushed to Primary Children’s Hospital in Salt Lake City.
“When I saw him, I broke down in tears,” she said. “I was shaking. My nerves were already shot.”
The teen’s injuries included multiple broken and fractured ribs, a broken shoulder blade, a punctured lung, and road rash over most of his upper body, his mom said.
“It ran over his chest,” Munger said. “That’s how he broke and fractured the ribs and punctured the lung. He actually has tire marks across his stomach that you can see.”
JUST IN: New photos of the 13-year-old hit by a car in Bountiful, courtesy of his mom, Sara Munger. She says her son was on his bike in a crosswalk. Now, he's talking and playing video games, but he'll have a long recovery & at least a few more days in the hospital. @KSL5TV pic.twitter.com/lvCC1UL2Rg
— Michael Locklear (@MichaelLocklear) October 6, 2022
As of Thursday afternoon, he still had a chest tube, “which is still pretty painful,” she said.
Dustin Munger, the teen’s father, called Isaiah “resilient.” He’s already playing video games. He’s been talking and coherent since the crash. He hasn’t needed any surgeries.
“He’s trying to downplay how much pain he’s in, I can tell,” his dad said. “He’s hanging in there, fighting.”
The parents are feeling lucky and blessed.
They also want to alert other drivers to the dangers of distraction.
“Drivers, please pay attention,” she said. “Please. No family deserves to go through this, ever.”
- Utah’s second Topgolf location to open Friday - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 15103)
- SB I-15 closed in Layton following police chase, shooting (pageviews: 6159)
- Utah’s second Topgolf location to open Friday (pageviews: 5870)
- Teens build intricate 'Gingerbread Cathedral,' get out of writing essay (pageviews: 4804)
- SB I-15 reopens in Layton following police chase, shooting (pageviews: 4665)
- Witness recounts 'miraculous' Moab rescue after BASE jumper crashes into cliff (pageviews: 3558)