Victim in State Street shooting dies in hospital
SALT LAKE CITY – The victim of the shooting at a State Street motel died in the hospital Monday, according to police.
Salt Lake City Police said 38-year-old Nickolas Parks has died after being shot in the head during a verbal argument with Thomas Leroy Glasker, 71, and Joseph Marquez, 60, on Oct. 11.
According to arrest documents, witnesses told police that the suspects got into an argument with Parks and his friend at the Wasatch Inn over a cigarette.
Witnesses say Parks and his friend walked away from the argument and went to a motel room. Meanwhile, witnesses saw Glasker giving Marquez a firearm and Marquez pounding on the victim’s door to confront them again.
Parks and his friend exited their room, and the argument continued, according to arrest documents.
“(Marquez) then shot the victim in the back of the head as the victim was walking away,” read arrest documents. “(Glasker) stated that he turned around and heard a gunshot.”
Surveillance video of the scene shows Marquez physically fighting with Parks and shooting him.
Witnesses told police that Glasker helped Marquez flee the scene by driving him away, according to arrest documents.
Police arrived on the scene at approximately 10:05 a.m. and found Parks not conscious or breathing. He was transported to a local hospital in critical condition.
Glasker was arrested shortly afterward, telling police he met Marquez before the shooting to give him some food. He told police he didn’t help Marquez after the shooting but later admitted he did give him a ride.
Police found Marquez on Oct. 12 hiding in Glasker’s apartment and arrested him, according to arrest documents. The gun has not been found by police.
Marquez and Glasker were booked in the Salt Lake County Jail for murder and obstruction of justice. Marquez is facing an additional charge of unlawful transaction of a firearm by a restricted person.
- Agents report finding child porn, bag of children's underwear in Utah man's home (pageviews: 5101)
- Snow advisories could bring up to 14 inches of snow Friday night (pageviews: 4500)
- Utah man arrested, charged with possessing fentanyl with intent to distribute (pageviews: 2760)
- High winds forces late start for northern Utah school districts (pageviews: 2490)
- Passenger dead after attempting to move crashed truck on SR-89 (pageviews: 2389)
- School bus hits and kills 15-year-old girl (pageviews: 2147)