Tooele holding candlelight vigil for domestic violence awareness
TOOELE, Utah — October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month, and the city of Tooele is holding a candlelight vigil Thursday at the Veterans Memorial Park.
Organizers say it’s one small thing we can do to support and advocate for victims.
“We want to honor those who have lost their lives and then those who are survivors,” said Wendy Stilson, operations director for Pathways Shelter.
Stilson’s team helped put up 596 purple flags near the park. Each one represents all the domestic violence incidents in Tooele since this year.
Stilson said we all have a role in helping a family member, friend or co-worker that is being abused. The first step is believing them.
“Learning how to spot it, how to help, what to say, who to go to. Because I think sometimes, we turn a blind eye, like I’m not sure if I should say something.”
The Paint the Town Purple event begins Thursday at 5:30 p.m. at Veteran’s Memorial Park in Tooele.
People can come out and hear from survivors, law enforcement, and learn about resources.
There will also be a Memorial Wall people can visit to honor those who lost their lives to domestic violence.
Domestic violence resources
If you or someone you know is going through abuse, help is available.
- Utah Domestic Violence Coalition operates a confidential statewide, 24-hour domestic abuse hotline at 1-800-897-LINK (5465).
- Resources are also available online at the Utah Domestic Violence Coalition website.
There are several ways the Utah Domestic Violence Coalition can help people. Previous examples include providing financial assistance for funerals, for moving, for a variety of things, counseling that help people find a different path or stay healthy and safe and the relationship they’re in.
- Agents report finding child porn, bag of children's underwear in Utah man's home (pageviews: 5101)
- Snow advisories could bring up to 14 inches of snow Friday night (pageviews: 4500)
- Utah man arrested, charged with possessing fentanyl with intent to distribute (pageviews: 2760)
- High winds forces late start for northern Utah school districts (pageviews: 2490)
- Passenger dead after attempting to move crashed truck on SR-89 (pageviews: 2389)
- School bus hits and kills 15-year-old girl (pageviews: 2147)