Police: Man arrested for stealing copper wire from Salt Lake City business
SALT LAKE CITY — A 62-year-old man was arrested Thursday morning after police say he burglarized a business in the Ballpark neighborhood “so he could steal copper wire.”
According to a press release from the Salt Lake City Police Department, at 6:05 a.m., an off-duty officer with the Unified Police Department noticed a ladder leaning against a business located near 1500 S. Main Street.
“The officer had previously heard about the business being targeted by criminals,” the release stated.
The officer alerted dispatch and then saw a man, identified in the release as Theodore Maciel, on the roof.
Officers quickly responded to the scene, according to police, and used a Salt Lake City Fire Department ladder truck to take Maciel into custody.
“Based on the preliminary investigation, officers believe Maciel caused several thousand dollars worth of damage while illegally accessing the business to steal copper wire,” the release stated.
Maciel was booked into the Salt Lake County Metro Jail on felony counts of burglary, theft, criminal mischief, and a misdemeanor count of possession of burglary tools.
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 16557)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 16009)
- Residential care facility faces fine after woman pronounced dead found gasping for air in body bag (pageviews: 13809)
- Missing Arizona girl found in basement of convicted Utah sex offender on parole (pageviews: 9044)
- 2 former Stansbury High School teammates to faceoff in the Super Bowl (pageviews: 7278)
- Missing Massachusetts girl found in Utah; man arrested for alleged human trafficking - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3003)