LOCAL NEWS

Firefighters warn public during cold months after man killed in propane heater explosion

Oct 31, 2022, 7:21 PM | Updated: Nov 5, 2022, 9:31 am

PROVO, Utah — An old propane heater with loose fittings ultimately lead to a deadly explosion in Provo, according to Capt. Jeanie Atherton with Provo Fire and Rescue.

“He was going out to winterize his shed and I believe he had turned it on because it was chilly that morning and wanted to generate some heat,” Atherton said.

The massive explosion occurred on the morning of Oct. 21, killing longtime Provo resident Paul Schneiter, 87.

Neighborhood mourns Provo resident killed in shed explosion

“There had been quite a bit of propane that had built up in that space, so when there was a spark and an ignition source it ignited simultaneously causing the explosion and burns on the victim,” Atherton said.

What happened in the workshed of the home near 1600 West and 1050 North in Provo is something Atherton worries more and more about as our weather turns cold.

“We’re absolutely getting into that season where people are going to start looking for ways to heat spaces,” Atherton said.

In light of what happened, Atherton is warning Utahns about the use of portable heaters.

“So the big thing with propane heater and any heater that runs on any time of fuel – those are never intended to be used inside an enclosed area,” Atherton said.

If using a fuel-powered heater and you suspect a gas leak, Atherton said to ventilate the area quickly.

“When you have that combustion process you build up a lot of carbon monoxide and that’s toxic, can cause you some very severe illness and could actually lead to death,” Atherton said.

For those who use portable electric space heaters: do not use extension cords.

“As it tries to pull more [amperage] the cord isn’t sufficient to support that so that will cause the cord to heat up and start a fire,” Atherton said. “Especially if there is something flammable on top of that cord like a blanket, it will cause that to heat up and actually ignite the material.”

Atherton said 911 calls ramp up this time of year as people try to creatively generate heat in their homes. She’s asking all Utahns to use caution and think twice before putting themselves or their family at risk.

“Sometimes people don’t have a space heater and they’ll use their oven or their stove to heat up a room in their house by turning those on and those can actually produce carbon monoxide in those areas which is very dangerous.”

KSL 5 TV Live

Top Stories

Local News

[File] Utah Highway Patrol State Trooper car (Laura Seitz, Deseret News)...
Pat Reavy

Accident leads to discovery of child porn, $30K cash, magic mushroom bars, UHP says

Utah Highway Patrol troopers investigating a crash in southern Utah arresting two people after they said they discovered child pornography, chocolate bars with THC and $30,000 cash.
12 hours ago
(KSL TV)...
Josh Ellis

Tooele County teacher named latest ‘Most Valuable Educator’ by Utah Jazz, Instructure

The Utah Jazz, Instructure and KSL TV are teaming up to honor the state’s most valuable educators, and the latest teacher to join the group is Mrs. Kim Nielsen from Rose Springs Elementary School.
12 hours ago
(KSL TV)...
Pat Reavy

Drug deal gone bad led to double killing in Taylorsville, police say

Taylorsville police have arrested a 19-year-old man in connection with a double killing at an apartment complex Monday night after the man surrendered Tuesday.
12 hours ago
A herd of elk cross I-80 near the mouth of Parleys Canyon on Feb. 1, 2023. (UDOT)...
Josh Ellis

Herd of elk causes delays on roads near Parleys Canyon

The Utah Department of Transportation warned drivers to be on the lookout as around 40 elk crossed roads near the mouth of Parleys Canyon.
12 hours ago
(KSL TV)...
Josh Ellis

1 dead, 1 injured in wrong-way crash that closed NB I-15 near SL/Davis Co. line

One person was killed and another was seriously injured in a wrong-way crash on northbound Interstate 15 Wednesday morning.
12 hours ago
...
Matt Gephardt and Cindy St. Clair

After new homes flood, residents question if builder or Mother Nature is to blame

Several new homes in a Lehi community flooded during rainstorms earlier this month. When they say the home builder told them they weren’t responsible, they decided to Get Gephardt to investigate.
2 days ago

Sponsored Articles

Fiber Optical cables connected to an optic ports and Network cables connected to ethernet ports...
Brian Huston, CE and Anthony Perkins, BICSI

Why Every Business Needs a Structured Cabling System

A structured cabling system benefits businesses by giving you faster processing speeds and making your network more efficient and reliable.
notebook with password notes highlighted...
PC Laptops

How to Create Strong Passwords You Can Actually Remember

Learn how you can create strong passwords that are actually easy to remember! In a short time you can create new ones in seconds.
house with for rent sign posted...
Chase Harrington, president and COO of Entrata

Top 5 Reasons You May Want to Consider Apartment Life Over Owning a Home

There are many benefits of renting that can be overshadowed by the allure of buying a home. Here are five reasons why renting might be right for you.
Festive kitchen in Christmas decorations. Christmas dining room....
Lighting Design

6 Holiday Decor Trends to Try in 2022

We've rounded out the top 6 holiday decor trends for 2022 so you can be ahead of the game before you start shopping. 
Happy diverse college or university students are having fun on their graduation day...
BYU MBA at the Marriott School of Business

How to Choose What MBA Program is Right for You: Take this Quiz Before You Apply!

Wondering what MBA program is right for you? Take this quiz before you apply to see if it will help you meet your goals.
Diverse Group of Energetic Professionals Team Meeting in Modern Office: Brainstorming IT Programmer...
Les Olson

Don’t Let a Ransomware Attack Get You Down | Protect Your Workplace Today with Cyber Insurance

Business owners and operators should be on guard to protect their workplace. Cyber insurance can protect you from online attacks.
Firefighters warn public during cold months after man killed in propane heater explosion