‘Light the World’ giving machines expand to more locations
SALT LAKE CITY — “Light the World” giving machines for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are expanding this holiday season.
There will now be 28 locations around the world:
- Brisbane, Australia
- Calgary, Alberta
- Cebu City, Philippines
- Denver, Colorado
- Glendale, Arizona
- Gilbert, Arizona
- Guatemala City, Guatemala
- Honolulu, Hawaii
- Houston, Texas
- Kansas City, Missouri
- Las Vegas, Nevada
- Manila, Philippines
- Mexico City, Mexico
- Nashville, Tennessee
- New York City, New York
- Orem, Utah
- Sacramento, California
- Salt Lake City, Utah
- Seattle, Washington
- Washington, D.C.
In addition to those locations, eight other U.S. cities will participate in a mobile giving machine experience. According to the Church, the machines will visit the following cities for a short stay before traveling to a new location:
- Atlanta, Georgia
- Birmingham, Alabama
- Charleston, South Carolina
- Charlotte, North Carolina
- Flagstaff, Arizona
- Gila Valley, Arizona
- St. Augustine, Florida
- Tucson, Arizona
“The 2022 Light the World initiative invites us all to ask and act on this question: Who needs my light today?” read a Thursday press release from the Church.
The giving machines include items like groceries, fresh water, child vaccines, beds, hygiene kits, farming equipment, medical care, job training, educational supplies, beehives and livestock. People can purchase any of those items to help people around the world.
This Christmas season, the Church invites people everywhere to celebrate the birth of Christ and follow His teaching to share our light with others. To help people care for others, the popular Light the World Giving Machines will expand to 28 locations.https://t.co/OGGsUS0qA9 pic.twitter.com/KNtQ8GoTeR
— The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (@Ch_JesusChrist) November 3, 2022
According to the release, 125 local and global nonprofits will join the Church for this year’s “Light the World” giving machines.
This year’s global nonprofit participants are:
- African Girls Hope Foundation
- American Red Cross
- Church World Service
- International Development Enterprises
- Lifting Hands International
- Mentors International
- Water For People
- World Food Program
“Since the first Giving Machine appeared in 2017, total contributions have reached US$15 million,” the release states.
Those unable to visit a physical machine can participate online at LightTheWorld.org/give.
- School bus hits and kills 15-year-old girl (pageviews: 9542)
- UPDATE: Three in custody after shots fired at Taylorsville High School, police said - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 9110)
- Earth's inner core may have stopped turning and could go into reverse, study suggests (pageviews: 7586)
- Snow advisories could bring up to 14 inches of snow Friday night (pageviews: 6434)
- Man chases teens after shots fired at Taylorsville High (pageviews: 3898)
- UPDATE: Three in custody after shots fired at Taylorsville High School, police said - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3647)