Man awaiting charges in ATM thefts arrested for stealing safe in West Valley, police say
WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah — A man who was out of jail on bail led police on a chase Tuesday morning after stealing a safe in West Valley City, police said.
According to a probable cause statement, Steven Early, 50 admitted that he stole a safe from VASA Fitness at 3420 S. 5600 West.
The document said Early also admitted to police officers that he had recently stolen several ATMs. The document said he was out on bail and awaiting to be formally charged in connection to seven ATM thefts.
The document said officers were called out to the VASA Fitness early Tuesday morning. Video showed a man with distinct tattoos enter the business and take the safe.
About an hour later, police were called out to Hillsdale Tire, which shared a parking lot with VASA Fitness. Video from the tire store showed the same person who stole the safe stealing a pickup truck.
At 7:30 a.m., police found the stolen truck in the parking lot of Stonebridge Golf Course. Police started to follow, but the truck sped away.
“After a brief pursuit, the tires were spiked and the driver was taken into custody and identified as Steven Early,” the document stated. “Steven had the same distinct tattoos as seen in the prior two mentioned burglaries.”
Police arrested and interviewed Early. That’s when he admitted to stealing the safe and leading police on the chase, the probable cause statement said.
Early was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail just before midnight.
He faces charges of theft for value that equals or exceeds $5,000, failure to stop or respond at the command of police, and burglary.
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 17246)
- Residential care facility faces fine after woman pronounced dead found gasping for air in body bag (pageviews: 12125)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 10592)
- Missing Arizona girl found in basement of convicted Utah sex offender on parole (pageviews: 7906)
- 2 former Stansbury High School teammates to faceoff in the Super Bowl (pageviews: 4332)
- Utah man arrested for rape of child after toddler diagnosed with STI (pageviews: 2848)