Woman shares survival story in West Jordan home explosion and fire
UTAH COUNTY, Utah — A woman who survived an explosion and fire that destroyed her West Jordan home on Thursday thanked the officer who helped her to safety as well as everyone who has supported her and her husband since that time.
Crystal Kelly said Friday she couldn’t remember the moment the house exploded, but she vividly recalled the minutes that followed, including when the officer found her.
“I guess he heard me screaming,” Kelly told KSL TV. “He went against what he was told, kicked in the side door and the side gate and he found me.”
Kelly said the fire had already started by the time she was being assisted out of the house.
She and her husband, Mike, said the flames consumed everything — from a car in the garage to the roof to the main floor.
Only the gutted façade at the front of the house survived the fire.
“There is literally ash in the backyard — ash — (and) the windows got blown all the way out to the road,” Kelly said. “I lost my past and my future in that house.”
Kelly said her husband’s family had already had a horrible and deadly history with fires.
“My husband’s father and mother died in a fire, his first cousin and baby died in a fire, the grandma died in a fire,” she recalled. “And I said this would never happen to us.”
— Andrew Adams (@AndrewAdamsKSL) November 5, 2022
The couple was staying with family in Utah County while they figured out their next steps.
They said they didn’t really even have clothing and recently-refilled medications were gone as well.
Kelly said she was able to secure a new driver’s license, thanks to the Utah Division of Motor Vehicles.
Relatives set up a GoFundMe* account to assist with expenses, and Kelly said she was grateful for all the support the couple had received already.
She said she still wasn’t sure how she survived.
“It’s amazing,” Kelly said. “My family possibly could have been looking for a funeral home today.”
*KSL TV does not assure that the money deposited to the account will be applied for the benefit of the persons named as beneficiaries. If you are considering a deposit to the account, you should consult your own advisors and otherwise proceed at your own risk.
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 16557)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 16009)
- Residential care facility faces fine after woman pronounced dead found gasping for air in body bag (pageviews: 13809)
- Missing Arizona girl found in basement of convicted Utah sex offender on parole (pageviews: 9044)
- 2 former Stansbury High School teammates to faceoff in the Super Bowl (pageviews: 7278)
- Missing Massachusetts girl found in Utah; man arrested for alleged human trafficking - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3003)