Teen hospitalized after being hit by car in Centerville crosswalk
CENTERVILLE, Utah — A 16-year-old girl was hospitalized Wednesday after she was hit by a car in a marked crosswalk in Centerville.
The incident happened at 2025 N. Main Street at approximately 11:28 a.m.
Chief Paul Child with the Centerville Police Department said the girl was crossing Main Street in a marked crosswalk when she was struck by a Toyota Highlander being driven by an 82-year-old woman.
“Although this crosswalk is a school crossing for kids going to and from Reading Elementary School, it was not an active school crossing zone at that time,” read a Wednesday afternoon press release from the Centerville Police Department.
The victim was thrown approximately 60 to 80 miles south of the crosswalk, according to the release.
Child said she sustained “very significant” injuries and was transported to Intermountain Medical Center via ambulance. According to the release, she is currently listed in critical condition with multiple head and torso injuries.
“The parents were located by Centerville PD and were notified of the situation,” the release stated.
The crash remains under investigation at this time.
“The caution again for drivers to be aware of their surroundings and watch for pedestrians in crosswalks,” Child said.
According to Child, there was a light drizzle in the area when the crash occurred.
“The roadway wasn’t wet,” he added.
Child said the driver has been cooperative with the investigation and stopped at the scene.
The roadway was blocked in both directions for about an hour Wednesday morning but has since reopened.
A GoFundMe* page was set up for the victim — later identified as Maya Staples — shortly thereafter.
*KSL TV does not assure that the money deposited to the account will be applied for the benefit of the persons named as beneficiaries. If you are considering a deposit to the account, you should consult your own advisors and otherwise proceed at your own risk.
- Church opening six new missions in 2023 (pageviews: 12259)
- Here is a list of stores open on Thanksgiving day for that last-minute ingredient - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7066)
- Utah deputies identify suspect in 1972 murder, rape case; still looking for second suspect (pageviews: 6499)
- EXCLUSIVE: Man takes woman hostage on flight to SLC, Good Samaritan steps in (pageviews: 5989)
- Utahn charged with assault after allegedly holding blade to woman's throat on flight (pageviews: 5264)
- Utah man buys humidifier found with five packages of cocaine in it (pageviews: 5001)
- Two injured in I-80 crash; several crashes reported as Thanksgiving travel picks up (pageviews: 4528)