Former Utah resident identified among victims of Dallas air show crash
DALLAS — A former Utah resident is among the six victims of a deadly air show crash involving two vintage planes in Texas.
The planes collided during a “Wings Over Dallas” show on Saturday afternoon.
“That is their annual air show, the largest air show they do, and is attended by thousands and thousands of people,” said Vintage Aviation Museum founder Sean O’Brien. “It takes a lot of skill, a lot of coordination. These are very professional people.”
Among those killed in the air show crash is Dan Ragan, who lived in Utah for years.
“Not only did you lose an airplane, but more importantly, the loss of life and those historians. It’s a sad day, it really is,” O’Brien said.
Out of respect for Ragan’s family, we are holding this story. https://t.co/Mo4TBnHAcu
— Shelby Lofton (@newswithShelby) November 14, 2022
The Commemorative Air Force Utah Wing confirmed in a message to KSL TV that it’s mourning the tragic incident.
Ragan was interviewed 11 years ago by the Deseret News about his time in the Navy and as a former B-17 crewmember.
He flew in a specially modified B-17. He told the paper at the time that it was his dream to fly the same plane as his older brother.
O’Brien said, while he didn’t know Ragan personally, he knows firsthand how air shows serve as a way to give back to veterans, like Ragan.
“For folks that truly have a passion for this, such as the ones that were tragically lost over the weekend at that air show incident, it’s something they truly enjoy because they were doing their part to help preserve and share history,” he said.
O’Brien said it’s a chance for them to open up and share stories of their service, passing them on to younger generations.
“Once they get around that aircraft, the stories start coming out, the history starts coming alive,” he said.
- Church opening six new missions in 2023 (pageviews: 12259)
- Here is a list of stores open on Thanksgiving day for that last-minute ingredient - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7066)
- Utah deputies identify suspect in 1972 murder, rape case; still looking for second suspect (pageviews: 6499)
- EXCLUSIVE: Man takes woman hostage on flight to SLC, Good Samaritan steps in (pageviews: 5989)
- Utahn charged with assault after allegedly holding blade to woman's throat on flight (pageviews: 5264)
- Utah man buys humidifier found with five packages of cocaine in it (pageviews: 5001)
- Two injured in I-80 crash; several crashes reported as Thanksgiving travel picks up (pageviews: 4528)