Wanting to change your Medicare plan? There’s help out there
ST. GEORGE, Utah — Choosing a health care plan can be overwhelming. That’s especially so for older Americans who want to be prepared if their health takes a turn.
Medicare open enrollment is now open until Dec. 7, and there is help if you want to make changes.
Darren Hotton, program director of the Utah Senior Medicare Patrol, said people’s health changes every year, so they should always adjust their plan to match their new needs.
“They could be saving hundreds to thousands of dollars by making small changes,” Hotton explained.
He said switching your drug prescription plan if you need insulin, is one of the most significant changes this year.
“If your insulin is covered with your plan, its $35, no deductible, it’s new this year, people on insulin should change their plans,” Hotton said.
Outside of the open enrollment window — anyone nearing their 65th birthday can enroll in Medicare.
Hotton says you have a seven-month window to sign up, stretching from three months before your 65th birthday to three months after your birthday month.
Sharon Bowman is a healthy and active senior living in Washington County but wants to be prepared if that changes. That’s why she’s giving extra thought to her healthcare decisions this fall.
“There are (a) number of different plans available to us, so I plan on making a phone call to see what would be able to me,” Bowman said.
She said she is thankful for Medicare.
“Having the insurance coverage, knowing that you have your Medicare, you’ve got your backup to help pay some of those expenses, it helps finically,” she said.
- High winds, heavy snow warning for ‘hazardous conditions’ Friday morning - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 31424)
- Body in Provo identified as jogger killed in hit-and-run (pageviews: 20372)
- Newly built homes deemed unlivable due to sliding soil (pageviews: 6785)
- Newly built homes deemed unlivable due to sliding soil - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6168)
- Winter storm leads to messy morning commute; schools moving online, delaying starts - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5857)
- Lehi mom stranded in snowstorm grateful for help from unexpected stranger - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4471)