Spanish Fork elementary teacher named ‘Most Valuable Educator’
SPANISH FORK, Utah — A Utah teacher got a big assist from the Utah Jazz, Instructure and KSL TV.
Charla Andersen earned the title of MVE, or “Most Valuable Educator.”
Mrs. Andersen teaches fifth grade at Park Elementary School in Spanish Fork. This week, her class got a surprise visit from the Jazz Bear who showered Mrs. Andersen with a new Jazz jersey and $1,000. She said she’ll use the money to take her class on a fun field trip.
The entire school filled the hallway to congratulate her with high fives.
Mrs. Andersen was nominated for “working like crazy to create fun and exciting lessons.”
She’s passionate about the profession she’s been a part of for 20 years.
“I get emotional. I get up and I love what I do. And the kids run to give you a hug and you know you’re making a difference,” said Andersen. “It’s a gift to get to do this as long as I’ve been able to.”
Brian Watkins, director of communications for Instructure, said teachers are doing challenging work under very difficult circumstances.
“For us to be able to help and honor those teachers and provide them with an extra boost and some recognition is exciting.”
Mrs. Andersen will be honored at the Jazz game Friday night, where she’ll get to watch the team take on the Phoenix Suns from a suite at Vivint Arena.
She’s the first of 14 MVEs that will be honored throughout the Jazz season.
Members of the public can nominate anyone in the local community, including students, parents, peer educators, principals, administrators and college deans. Nominators will be asked to answer, “How does this educator inspire students, spark curiosity and support student growth and achievement?”
Each winner will receive a $1,000 classroom grant from Instructure, parent company of Canvas, and a personalized jersey.
They will also get to attend an awards dinner with the Jazz and Instructure at the end of the season. Instructure will also be providing 300 tickets for Utah educators to attend the Jazz game on March 18.
- High winds, heavy snow warning for ‘hazardous conditions’ Friday morning - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 17145)
- SB I-15 reopens in Layton following police chase, shooting (pageviews: 9231)
- SB I-15 closed in Layton following police chase, shooting (pageviews: 6159)
- High winds, heavy snow warning for 'hazardous conditions' Friday morning (pageviews: 5239)
- Witness recounts 'miraculous' Moab rescue after BASE jumper crashes into cliff (pageviews: 4464)
- SB I-15 reopens in Layton following police chase, shooting - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4141)