SLC police releases bodycam footage of an officer-involved shooting
SALT LAKE CITY — Salt Lake City Police Department released two body cam videos of an officer-involved shooting on Nov. 8, 2022.
According to a press release from Salt Lake City Police Department, 37-year-old George Gulla was shot and remains at a local hospital. He is expected to survive.
Officers responded to a home near 1700 S. 900 East at the request of Huntsman Mental Health Institute’s Mobile Crisis Outreach Team.
The MCOT employees contacted one of the officers and discussed Gulla’s recent drug use, prior police interaction, and MCOT’s safety concerns.
The release states, “The two SLCPD officers accompanied two employees from MCOT and a family member of Mr. Gulla’s to the garage of the private residence. ”
While inside the garage, Gulla’s family member spoke to him as well as mental health professionals who were present while two officers remained inside the garage observing. During that conversation, Gulla became “agitated.”
According to the release, “From the officers’ body-worn camera, at 11:53 a.m., it appears Mr. Gulla, while sitting on a mattress, makes a sudden lunge toward the foot of the bed. One of the mental health professionals reacts to Mr. Gulla’s actions, turning and running away. As this occurs, both officers fired multiple rounds, striking Mr. Gulla.”
The other mental health professional hid behind one of the officers as they commanded Gulla to show his hands. Gulla was taken into custody without further incident and given medical care.
The body cam videos can be found below, but a warning to our viewers: they are graphic.
“This incident is reflective of how a situation can turn dangerous with no warning,” Chief Mike Brown said. “The collaboration our police department has with our own social workers and mental health professionals as well as the mental health service providers in our community is critical to more fully addressing the needs of Salt Lake City, and I am proud of that work. I look forward to the conclusion of the outside, independent investigation in this matter.”
- Church opening six new missions in 2023 (pageviews: 12259)
- Here is a list of stores open on Thanksgiving day for that last-minute ingredient - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7066)
- Utah deputies identify suspect in 1972 murder, rape case; still looking for second suspect (pageviews: 6499)
- EXCLUSIVE: Man takes woman hostage on flight to SLC, Good Samaritan steps in (pageviews: 5989)
- Utahn charged with assault after allegedly holding blade to woman's throat on flight (pageviews: 5264)
- Utah man buys humidifier found with five packages of cocaine in it (pageviews: 5001)
- Two injured in I-80 crash; several crashes reported as Thanksgiving travel picks up (pageviews: 4528)