First temple in Puerto Rico opening to the public
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico — The San Juan Puerto Rico Temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is opening its doors to the public beginning Dec. 1.
The temple — which was announced by President Russell M. Nelson in Oct. 2018 — is the first for the territory.
“Imagine everything that we have gone through with the difficult situations of Hurricane Maria, the earthquakes and the emotional troubles we’ve had,” said Nidza Henriquez, who met with missionaries when she was 18 and was later baptized. “Getting the news of the temple, that we no longer have to travel far away (to visit), is a wonderful blessing.”
The San Juan Puerto Rico Temple — which Church officials say was inspired by the Spanish colonial architecture of the territory’s historical landmarks — sits on a 2.97-acre site, is single story, and covers 6,988 square feet.
“The interior glass patterns were inspired by quatrefoil motifs seen in Spanish colonial architecture. The same pattern is repeated in ordinance room fabrics using the colors blue, gold, opal white and green,” read a Monday press release from the Church.
The public is invited to tour the inside from Dec. 1 through Dec. 17, with the exception of Sundays.
A few weeks later, on Jan. 15, 2023, the temple will be dedicated by Elder D. Todd Christofferson of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.
According to the release, this temple is the first in the territory and the third in the Caribbean, including locations in Port-Au-Prince, Haiti and Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.
- Agents report finding child porn, bag of children's underwear in Utah man's home (pageviews: 5101)
- Snow advisories could bring up to 14 inches of snow Friday night (pageviews: 4500)
- Utah man arrested, charged with possessing fentanyl with intent to distribute (pageviews: 2760)
- High winds forces late start for northern Utah school districts (pageviews: 2490)
- Passenger dead after attempting to move crashed truck on SR-89 (pageviews: 2389)
- School bus hits and kills 15-year-old girl (pageviews: 2147)